String Stops

Luv2turn

I have less than 200 shots out of my xbow and the string stops are both splitting.

I know xbow755 got 800+ out of his.

What are the rest of you seeing?

I called PSE and was told the expected life span was 200 to 500 shoots. I told her that was not encouraging after already having the crank mechanism replaced and then a set of limbs and now waiting for the replacement of my sight.

She must have sensed my displeasure and told me that although she considered this to be normal, she is sending me a pair of stops.

FYI: the stops are the same as the Vibracheck stops they have on their website, item #01118

Mike

My Tac 15i came with a pair of ultra soft stops that split after 30 to 50 shots. They were replaced with what looks like the same ones that come mounted on the front of the prod.

I have fired 60 times with the new ones and there are no signs of damage to these.

It was quieter with the softer stops in place

Hi Mike,
The new stops that you will receive are much softer/spongier than the original factory stops. I just replaced the first of my stops about a week and a half ago and I'm not positive but I think the spongier material is less likely to split because it give much easier than the original material.

This is just my theory, since I don't have enough shots or time on the new ones to verify that I'm correct. The replacement bumpers that they are sending you are listed under the vibracheck crossbow accessories section on PSE's website.
They sell for about $5.99 each and since the shipping charge is more than the bumper it's worth ordering a couple extras just to keep on hand for the future.

Regards,

Jon

60 or so have looked at this post but only 2 have responded.

Again, how many shots are you getting before the string stops split?

the better question may be " how many shots so far with no splits"

Please!!!!!

Mike

Hi Mike,
I only have about 40 or 50 shots on the new soft cable stop. That's why I stated that I can't verify how long the new softer ones will last.

I did get between 1300 and 1500 shots out of the original ones before a split finally developed. When I called PSE to order some replacements they told me the Vibracheck Dampeners were the exact same thing as the ones they were using on the TAC crossbows. It wasn't until I received a pair that I noticed the difference in the two materials.

Since only one of my cable stops was split, I only needed to replace one of mine. Now I have one of each on my crossbow.

After hearing the comments below about Thegunt getting 50 shots out of a set before they split, I'll now contact PSE in the next day or two and order a set of the original factory cable stops to have on hand as a back-up.

From the very beginning when I received my crossbow, I always said that if I ever had a problem of my cable bumpers splitting to frequently I would remove my bumper rods and take about an eighth to a quarter of an inch off each rod or try seating the bumpers themselves a little deeper on the rods to prevent this problem. I got lucky because mine has been good in all these areas.

Also, if you're experiencing excessive cable or serving wear in the area where your bowstring touches the under side of your bumper rods, you might want to consider having your rods smooth polished by a machine shop.

Again, I have no problems in this area, but I know that Super 91 did have heavy wear in these areas and he took the approach I just outlined to resolve it.

Just a thought!

Jon

Hi All,
I should have also mentioned that when you go to replace these cable stops they are glued on using some type of an adhesive, so here are the steps I used to replace the one that split on my xbow:

1. Use your crossbows crank handle and crank your crossbow string a few turns so that it's away from the bumpers and you have plenty of work space.
2. Using a carpet knife or similar sharp object cut the split bumper length
wise in parallel with the bumper rod, so you are splitting the bumper so it
can easily be pealed off the bumper rod.

3. Remove any excess rubber that may have been left behind using a dull
edged knife or similar tool.

4. Once most of the rubber has been removed spray the bumper rod with
WD-40 or a similar lubricant. This will dissolve and remove any adhesives
or glue remaining on the rod. Then use some Acetone or Denatured
Alcohol on a cloth to wipe down and clean the Bumper Stop Rod. This will
remove any skin oils or dirt or WD-40 residue and also open the pores of
the metal for a much better bond during the next step.

5. To attach the new Cable Bumper you can use either a spray adhesive like
Scotch 3M Spray Adhesive or a simple non fast drying glue like Duco
Cement or the original Bohning Fletch-Tite. These are not liquidy and
usually require 30 minutes or more to set up, but the key is they can be
broken free for easy replacement, without to much trouble. Place a drop
or two on the end of the bumper rod and slide the bumper on while
rotating it to spread the glue evenly around the rod and inside the
bumper.

6. Now use a rubber mallet to tap the bumper as far down on the bumper
rod as it will go. This should seat the bumper firmly against the bumper
rod to insure a flush fit.

7. Using the crank handle and the cable release lever, crank the cable back
down until it is resting against the bumpers where you started. This will
maintain pressure against the bumpers while they dry.

8. Remember to use a paper towel or cloth to wipe any excess glue or
adhesive from around the outside of your bumper rod where the cable
stop meets your Bumper Rod.

9. Allow an hour or more to dry and resume shooting as normal.

Good luck! :)

Xbow755

xbow 755

Is the glue really necessary?

Do you think the rubber stops on the front of the bow are the same as the string stops?

Mike

Hi Luv2turn,
Weather you use glue or another adhesive product something is necessary to insure the cable stops remain fully seated as tightly as possible to the bumper rods.

If the cable stops should loosen and move up even a 1/4" off the base of the bumper rods, you will quickly develop a split in the rubber bumper. You will also likely have uneven pressure being applied to your arrows during the launch cycle because one side of the cable comes to an abrupt stop slightly before the opposite side. This is why both cable stop bumpers should be firmly seated in their lowest position on the rods.

You may not think it's that critical, but for a crossbow that you are trying to achieve under 3" arrow groups at 80 - 100 yards everything is critical.

Yes, I think the front bumpers are made of the same material as the rear ones.

Regards,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.