String Breaking?

PNW EOD

Hey guys, I'm writing this with my left forearm wrapped in Gauze and Coflex. Now for the story. I Headed out to the range today after work, excited to shoot a little bit to get my mind off a long day at work. I brought the new Bear Arena 34 (New to me, bow came out in 2015, purchased last year.) I have only been able to shoot about 100-150 arrows through it due to a crazy mission schedule. On about the 5th shot, I went to full draw, and just about the time I lined up the pin, all hell broke loose, and I could hear that horrible string snapping sound. Mind you, I know bows, and know how a derailment occurs, and this was not a derailment. After cleaning the blood off of my forearm and determining I didn't need a trip to the Emergency Room, I took a closer look at what happened. The string broke about 4 Inches above my peep sight, in a location that never touches the Cam. I contacted Bear Archery after I got back from the range, and they said they have no Idea what could have caused it, and were more than happy to send me a new string, and cover any other broken parts that may come up after my bow shop gives it an inspection. It was quite the ride, but I'm glad Bear stood by their product. I won't hesitate to say I'm dissapointed, but I have never heard of this happening except by neglect. Have any of you ever had anything similar happen? I've seen strings break, but a basically brand new string that has only gone from the range to it's case? Quite the scary failure for a new product.

No I haven't seen that happen and I hope I don't. My brother had a release fail and he punched himself in the nose twice before he gave up on the release. Hope you get everything put back together and all is well. Good luck.

Update, other broken components include Warped Cam, 2 Broken Posts, Broken Axle Bushing, and the limb stopped smashed into the limb so potential cracking there. Bow is in the mail on it's way back to Bear. They said the turnaround time is 5-10 days once received, so it's not bad. Really interested to hear what they say about the string.

I will start off saying I am not a professional string/harness builder but I have made a handful of harnesses for my own bows.

My friend Gary made all his own strings for his hunting bows and he instructed me on how to properly measure and tie a string using the new at the time "fast flight" materials.

One thing that I learned is that it is very important to not cross the threads or build in any bumps or kinks. Fast flight type materials will cut itself if there are any crossed fibers or any wrinkles or bumps under the servings.

I wonder if the harness maker had a bad day when your harness was made?

I had a couple bows blow up on me in the late 70's early 80's and I know as well as everybody else, it sucks.

I hope everything heals up and Bear archery makes everything right. Let us know what plays out.

Where you using very light arrows ? Some people say that using light arrows for the bows poundage can cause damage to the bow .

Bear is hopefully going to receive the bow this week, and then I'll figure out what their plan is from there. Bullet Bumper, I never shoot any arrows under 6 grains per pound of Draw weight, as that is the minimum arrow weight. My guess is the same as mtwarych, someone or something had a bad day while making my harness and all hell broke loose. My arm is healing, but there will be a pretty cool scar to show off at hunting camps for years to come!

What was the result on this?
Yes, I am curious as well. I've never had anything like that happen. I am self taught and slacked in my form once only to have my old Martin Cheetah string take a bite into my right arm on release - left me with 1/2 a golf ball on my forearm. Needless to say I haven't done that again. Hope they covered down on the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.