Striker and the .308 family

Rupe

I have a Savage Striker in .308win and I am thinking of going to a different caliber/barrel. Staying in the .308 family so I don't have to change the bolt face. Which of the calibers would be.best for long range for coyotes? Caliber, barrel length (under 16"), twist.
I am new to changing and building guns and specialty handguns, but not new to handgun hunting.
I have just always hunted with .44 mag. revolvers and I am think about trying some really long range shooting and hunting.
Any help would be great and thank you in advance.
God Bless, Rupe

Rupe,

Gonna hunt coyotes? Want range?

Well, a 243 with a good rifle scope ought to reach to 500 easily.

Pick up a second hand rifle barrel and chop it off and crown it at about 16-17 and you're all set. Maybe a tripod would help as well.

Larry
Tinkerer

Thanks Larry, I was hoping .243 would be the answer. That way I wouldn't have to buy another die set. lol
Yes 500 yards would be good. I live in the high desert of Oregon, with ranges of even farther.But I don't expect.to beable to shoot like Ernie (xphunter) anytime soon.
Used barrel good plan! Thanks,
Rupe

Give the 260 Remington a look. I have a Savage Striker chambered in 260 and it is super accurate. I am shooting 120 grain Sierras at 2682 fps. and have several 3 shot 200 yard groups that measure less than an inch. I use the same bullet for both deer and coyotes.

Well, I wasn't going to say this, but you have a 308, which should handle deer easily.

243 for coyotes to ghogs.

Get both and shoot whatver. Unless you just want to have a barrel for everything, which is OK, too.

22-250.
260 remi.
7-08

Ready for anything.

Whip out that AMEX and get started.

And don't forget a action wrench and a nut wrench and a 308 go gage. I used a once fired shell for 22-250.

Larry
Tinkerer

Seems that the 260 rem and the 243 win are the best choices. Which is the most accurate and flatest shooting of those 2. Yes the .308 is my deer and Elk barrel.
To me the .243 would also be good for sagerats. Where you are shooting all day. The 22-250 seems a little light for coyotes and badgers at long range, plus wouldn't I have to change the bolt face for it??? I don't know.
Thanks guys, keep it coming!
Rupe

Nope. 22-250 is 473 also.

Plus it's inexpensive to shoot, light recoil.

Get one. Cut down rifle barrels are cheap.

Larry
Tinkerer

I can see how addicting this can get! I need one of everything! lol
If the 22-250 can put down a coyote at 500yds. and the wind won't be to hard on it, then that might just be the ticket. (even if I do have to buy another set of dies) :D
Thank you again sir!
Rupe

After reading up on the 22-250, it does look like it might be more in the line of what I am looking for. You can load it to several different fps. From WMR velocity to almost 220 Swift speeds. It appears it can buck the winds better then alot of otber small calibers too.

If going with the 22-250 I would lean toward a faster twist and consider an A-Max, like a 75 grain, as it will give you some advantage in wind.
243 Win would be great as well.
Contact sscoyote as he will be a great resource here

I will drop him a pm and see what be has to say. Thanks you guys! I really appreciate your help in this. I'm not a rich guy and I really would hate to make the wrong choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.