Stretching brass

To slow the process of case growth I recommend sizing only enough to chamber. Start backed off with the die and size, try it in your chamber and if it is still to tight turn the die down a small amount (1/16th of a turn) try the case again, and repeat until it chambers. (Don't over do it). Belted cases are sized smaller than the chamber so they will load easy And head space on the belt anyway, so don't oversize the cases.

The more you size them the more they will grow/lengthen each time they are fired.

Some people Neck size only, some do a minimum size and others do a full size.
Bumping the shoulder on a belted case is counter productive and only lessens case life
even more.

J E CUSTOM

Truth be told, this rifle is either going to be traded for another compact short action of some sort very soon anyway. Or the action will get a new barrel and stock (Boyd's at one, or some other adjustable style LOP, standard/ magnum length rifles are just too big for me)

I would just like to solve this having never dealt with it before. This is a great learning experience.

I had the same problem, bought 3 different brand shell holders. None was small enough, so I got my machinist to take .012 off one of them. Voila. Bump the shoulder however far you like.

Zediker does a good job of explaining how to set up dies in his book.

you should verify that your chamber is smaller than normal before you trim a shell holders down , the feeler gauges mentioned will give you an exact number

but , be certain that your belt is not bottoming out and you are in fact too long at the shoulder (( smoke/soot your case and see where its hitting on a very clean chamber )) ... different manufactures have different belt heights

keep in mind, that even though the brass has been fired in that chamber that it doenst mean that it is fully formed to chamber length , measure 20 or so that were fired in that chamber ,to find the longest of all of them

Belted Magnums head-space on the belt. A chamber cast using cerrosafe or other low temp alloy would give you an idea of what's going on in the chamber. Sounds like the chamber is cut more deeply than it should be. Let us know what you find.

Just to clarify. You have measured and your shoulder has been bumped back .002? But the over all length of the cartridge has grown by .005?

Or is the shoulder that has been moved forward .005?

Are you definitely using the correct Hornady insert for your case? If you use one that is too narrow and measures too close to the neck, you can get funny readings. They need to read close to the outer edge of the shoulder.

Yes I am measuring off the shoulder with the proper bushing, I measure the fired case, resize, measure the result and they are getting longer, some more than others. I ended up tossing out a bunch of brass, as a result of the corroded powder issue,and I think I may loose a few more trying to get this figured out. I'm just glad its not good expensive brass I am loosing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.