Strength training Cycle for the fall starts NOW

bruceleroy

It may seem a bit early but if you break down your year into training cycles it makes more sense.

I am jumping the gun a bit though. February is what I really mean to begin your strength training cycle. This is the time to develop your big lifts and create a strength and power foundation to carry you forward as we approach archery season. If you are predominately a rifle hunter (October and on) then just adjust the time-frame.

All the hunters I have trained have made the best progress in their fitness starting their heavy lifts early and sticking with it for 2-3 months depending on age, disabilities and, of course, overall goals. During the last half of the power cycle I have folks begin their cardio progression. The cardio progression lasts the entirety of the program. From there I suggest to people that they move into a performance phase that enables the building of performance movements (think sports movements) that demand the most muscle groups to work in unison. Then the cardio shifts into an endurance focus from this point (about mid to end of June) and together I help balance power maintenance, endurance progression, rest and mobility. I have found that this helps people thrive in the mountains, finish their days a lot less sore and exhausted.

All that balanced with good sleep habits, good dietary habits and consistency will help you not miss out this fall due to lack of fitness.

I hope this helps a few people out there. It is rather generic but It is a timeline that can be followed to become more powerful, stable, agile and last longer!

I'm forming a similar plan now but no real experience to go on. Just lots of reading and youtubing.

A little background, I just turned 50 and lost 44 pounds last year. I'm 5'11' and maintaining 202 now +/- a couple of pounds. Feel better than I have since my 20's.

I'm focusing on strength with a little cardio now and thought the same thing to ramp up cardio in June then in August add in HIIT or Cross Fit type exercise to my program. I go to the gym 3 days a week now and occasionally a 4th. I'll add in movements from home with the HIIT and Cross Fit type work and plan to do something even if it's 15-20 minutes daily towards the end. I'll also plan for 2 training periods on my days off when possible with one being cardio related HIIT.

I'm building a calendar now to maximize fitness and hopefully prevent burnout by changing routine.

This is in preparation for an October guided hunt in NM.

I'm forming a similar plan now but no real experience to go on. Just lots of reading and youtubing.

A little background, I just turned 50 and lost 44 pounds last year. I'm 5'11' and maintaining 202 now +/- a couple of pounds. Feel better than I have since my 20's.

I'm focusing on strength with a little cardio now and thought the same thing to ramp up cardio in June then in August add in HIIT or Cross Fit type exercise to my program. I go to the gym 3 days a week now and occasionally a 4th. I'll add in movements from home with the HIIT and Cross Fit type work and plan to do something even if it's 15-20 minutes daily towards the end. I'll also plan for 2 training periods on my days off when possible with one being cardio related HIIT.

I'm building a calendar now to maximize fitness and hopefully prevent burnout by changing routine.

This is in preparation for an October guided hunt in NM.
Just getting out in the terrain you are going to be in and hiking with A pack consistently will benefit you

I didn't make that 2020 hunt due to the vid and the threat it put on my job (airline employee).

I was beyond lucky to draw a hunt in NM in 2021 which was in a really rugged and steep unit. I also got married in September of the same year so all that goes with marriage and moving my wife into my house put some constraints on my free time.

I went guided as I was solo and my wife insisted for safety. I'm glad I did, had a great time and learned so much more than I would have solo.

From a strength standpoint I did great carrying 28 pounds on my back including water food hunting safety gear and my rifle. My pack was around 70 on the first pack out after the kill at 1130 pm.

I never felt any leg, back or shoulder fatigue or knee pain. I have put on a few pounds coming into the hunt at 215 but that's life.

I was constantly winded on anything more than a slightly uphill hike needing to closely monitor my pace and stop often. I carried canned oxygen which was a life saver. On a previous scouting trip I carried some and measured the recovery time from max heart rate to a high resting heart rate. It was dramatic in recovery time between oxygen and no oxygen.

Our initial hike into the hunting area was 1.4 miles gaining 900-1000 feet which we were doing in 1 hour so that's not too bad except for the steepest parts of the climb.

Getting the time for additional cardio was the tough part and due to the busy nature of life at the time I didn't varry it by much at all. I feel like this was my biggest downfall in my training regarding cardio and where I'll focus more attention next time. In Reality as a flat lander with an office job in my 50s I'll always suffer at altitude. Good diet and exercise can reduce it thereby making a more enjoyable and safer hunting experience.

We did 28 miles in scouting and hunting from 8-9800 feet and had the hunting experience of a lifetime for me.

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

Last edited:
Im a x skier,might start up again sometime.But my sons a fitness junkee.We have home gym and I started with him a year ago,nice and easy.Going to get my boy set me up on squats,havent done in years,he does lot of kettle bell stuff.Im trying to hit 12-15 pull up by fall.I do push ups and curls at camp.Do dead hangs at work when I have a second of scaffold.Im in construction,up down ladders etc,bagged up that 2-5 miles a day. By end of season I could pull 2-3000 vert pretty good,on a hike like that 14 miles was a bit past my limit.

I spend my winters, stair, climbing and cycling, I've got bad knees, and so I have to be a little bit careful about treadmill walking, but that keeps me in shape throughout the year