Strange POA

Poe

I'm confused and I'm hoping someone can give me a hand. I'm shooting a Rem 700 sps varmint in 22-250 with a HS precision stock and a Athlon Helos BTR scope that I have a load worked up using 50gr Vmax and Varget. When I shoot at 100 yards the rifle is sighted in good left to right but when I shoot at 300 yards it's hitting almost 2 MOA to the right. I had next to no wind and right after shooting at 300 I went back to 100 yards and it was back on again. Could this be a scope mounting issue?

I'm going with "next to no wind" still meaning some wind. Wind is the devil, even in small amounts.
I would agree with you but I can't see next to no wind pushing me 6 inches at 300 yards and still be bang on at. 100. I was also shooting 4 shot groups so one quick gust wouldn't be the issue

Are you dialing or holding elevation between 100 & 300? If you're dialing try aiming at the same poa at 300 as you are at 100 without dialing. If you're still getting the shift, you can rule out the gun.

Are you dialing or holding elevation between 100 & 300? If you're dialing try aiming at the same poa at 300 as you are at 100 without dialing. If you're still getting the shift, you can rule out the gun.
My first group wasn't dialed for windage or elevation. I held centre so I could see what my drop was. The only thing I changed moving from 100 to 318 yards on the first group was my parallax

So if I understand correctly, you shot a group at 100 then shot a group at 318 without adjusting windage or elevation. You only adjusted parallax. The group at 318 had the proper amount of drop but shifted right 2 MOA. what were your group sizes at 100 & 318?

Are you dead center at 100 yds? Reason I ask is a couple years ago there was a guy that was shooting at the range with me and he was having the same issue. He started a conversation and asked if I had ideas so I looked through his scope and his reticle was canted. He took for granted that the scope was level and was, ever so slightly, canting his rifle to make his reticle level on the target. The reason I ask about your POI at 100 yds was his was .75" right at 100, but he didn't think anything of that. It was when he went to 300 and beyond it got really messed up.

When your scope is pointing straight and your barrel is pointing up things get messed up when you cant the rifle. It will still group, but the whole thing shifts.

Just a thought.

So if I understand correctly, you shot a group at 100 then shot a group at 318 without adjusting windage or elevation. You only adjusted parallax. The group at 318 had the proper amount of drop but shifted right 2 MOA. what were your group sizes at 100 & 318?
.5" at 100 yards and 2.5 @ 318

I will have to play with it some more next time I'm out. Who knows maybe I was having an off day and it was my shooting

Just my opinion, but I suspect the problem is you and your setup. You more than likely shifted your setup which includes cant, how you set up in rest/bag/bipod, checkweld, etc.

It all matters and its amazing how much simple things can move the POA. I was working my 22LR Wednesday and put a good 10 shot group together. Got up and moved around, came back and shot a nice 5 shot group 1/2" up and 1" left of the first group. That was at 50yds.

Good Luck!

Recent Posts