Strange happening on a Super Blackhawk

Hicks

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I was swapping a scope off my Ruger and I noticed that the front site is cocked to the right as you look down it. My load for that pistol is Elmer Keith's load: 240Gr cast Keith Type with 22Gr of 2400. The scope has been on it for about 18 years and I've not noticed any decrease in accuracy; it is actually quite accurate and I have shot prairie dogs with it out to 150 yards. But now I'm more interested in carrying it without a scope and I need to get the barrel twisted back the right way. Question: Is it possible that shooting hot loads has twisted the barrel off that much?

Any input welcome!

Hicks

The barrel itself is not twisted. It has rotated in it's threads in the action and is now out of time. This is fairly common on the Ruger single action revolvers. Take the ejector tube off the side and go ahead and unthread the barrel if it will move by hand. If you need tools just let Ruger do it so you don't risk tweaking the frame. Test fit it for time and if necessary use some blue Loctite to hold it in place. If this doesn't do it return it to Ruger and they will do the same thing only with red Loctite. If it's way out and loose when the sight is straight up they will set it back and retime it.

I would call ruger and see what they say. A polite phone call wouldn't hurt anything. I'm sure your not the first person to have that problem. I'm also a Super Blackhawk fan.

I would call ruger and see what they say. A polite phone call wouldn't hurt anything. I'm sure your not the first person to have that problem. I'm also a Super Blackhawk fan.

Interestingly Ruger said that it could be a warranty thing HOWEVER since I've done a spring job on it they would remove my aftermarket spring and replace it with the crappy factory spring. No thanks. I'll just find a local gunsmith.

Hicks

I lightened my trigger pull also. That pistol is almost as accurate as my marlin 44 mag. Let us know how everything goes.

I lightened my trigger pull also. That pistol is almost as accurate as my marlin 44 mag. Let us know how everything goes.

Actually as it turns out my gunsmith friend told me that I should send it back to ruger because the fact that the barrel twisted probably means there is something really wrong with it that just shouldn't be the case. ****.

Hicks

Personally, I would prefer to have ruger work on it. That's what warranties are for, and that way they have a record of what they did to it. Plus, it's cheaper.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.