Straight 284 win and Shehane

That is all you needed to say. I think it is time for you to build a 284 Shehane. LOL!

I did preclude all of my thought process here with the fact that I have done no real research (last line in my first post) right?? Lol! Kinda like saying "no offense, but...( insert offensive statement here). Totally absolves me of accountability for lack of knowledge. Now actually looking at it, 3k probably not gonna happen on a 284, but dangit man, I thought I was on to something here!! Shehane, here I come!! That rpm does look like a cool design too. Love wby's thought process on that.

I did a switch barrel/shoulder gun this summer. Ones a 6 Dasher other is a straight 284. Considered going Shehane but didn't see the benefits for my application. Unfortunately I only had a trued Remington SA on hand. Long action would be much better. Either way I was wanting to run the 155 HH but it is going to take up to much case capacity. Think I'll return them and try the 143 HH. Most of my shots rarely exceed 5-600 yds so I thought it was a good fit. Have not had time to shoot the 284 as of yet. The F class guys do get great velocity out of 30-32" barrels with 180's and R23.

Nothing wrong with considering the standard 284 Win. With brass available from many sources it is still viable even though it was brought out in 1963. Imagine back then a rebated rim, minimum body taper and a 35 degree shoulder!

I have owned at least one and as many as three at the same time since early 80s. Have used a wide range of bullets from a 100 gr X to a 168 Berger VLD. Have taken quite a few elk, well over a dozen coues wt as well as many javelina, coyotes and jackrabbits.

Powder choices have changed over time as well. THE original load for Bob Hagel and IIRC was a 140 gr Nosler Partition with 57 or 58 gr of IMR 4350 velocity right around 3000 fps. H4350, RL-17 may be the best for hunting these days and H4831 with 180s is favored by the 1000 yd guys.

Melvin Forbes creator of the Ultralight Arms rifle said that the 284 win was the most popular cartridge for his model 20 rifle.

If there was an issue with the 284 Win it would be feeding but it can be resolved by a competent gunsmith. Some magazines are a bit on the short side but will still work. The Ultralight model 20 used a 3.1" magazine with usable space of approx. 3.050" I use a SA Ruger tang safety that was originally a 6mm Rem. It always fed the 284 Win perfectly. Around 15 years ago I had my gunsmith lengthen the mag box to a useable 3.050". Had a reamer made to my specs which included skim turning the necked up 6.5-284 Lapua brass for use with the 168 Berger VLD. Using RL-17 the 168's velocity is 2925 fps from a 24" barrel.

There is even Norma brass made in 284 Win, the owner of Grizzly Industrial had made specially for him. "It is double-drawn for body consistency and the heads are double-stamped for longer primer pocket life. This "special run" brass, created exclusively for Bullets.com, is produced to extremely high tolerances from high-grade raw materials."

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/08/ultra-high-grade-norma-284-win-brass-now-available/

You can still find it at Bruno shooters supply in Phoenix.

https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=80953

I hate to mention it....you can also neck down the 6.5-284 Lapua brass to 6mm. I currently have two 6mm-284s which are IMO the best wildcat made from 284 win brass but that is another story.

284 win and Shehane are used widely in F-Class. Them guys are good Indians using good arrows. I will own one some day, just haven't ever needed anything over 6.5mm. But like you I have this nice little tikka that is slowly winning over my heart.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Joe S

Great caliber! I built a straight.284 win throated for the 168 Berger HVLD's on a long action Remington 700, 25" Benchmark 1-9 #4. 55 grains of H48131sc , federal 210gm's in necked up Lapua brass at 3.086" coal is only giving me 2740 FPS but is my favorite hunting caliber. Soft to shoot and has given very predictable DRT results on deer and elk out to 400 yards so far. I'm not sure why I can't get much more velocity without pressure in my barrel but honestly I don't think I need it unless I'm planning on killing elk size game past about 600 yards.

Ive had a 7mm barrel blank sitting around for a couple years now. I think its going to end up as a Shehane in the spring. It looks like a good balanced cartridge with quality components available.

It's kinda funny how everything comes full circle. Back in the day guys were necking 284 win brass to 6.5 284 because of the advantage of high bc bullets in 6.5. The 6.5 284 ruled 1000 yd f class for many years. Now with the newer high bc 284 bullets the straight 284 is making a comeback. Buddy shoots on Sierras team and he is shooting 284 win.

So I'm seeing a lot of talk about how the 284 Win isn't fast enough. My thought has always been, if you can't count on the bullet hitting the mark, I don't care how fasts it shoots. I'll take precision over speed any day.
I care about fps at extended ranges. Doesn't do any good to hit where you are aiming if you aren't carrying enough speed to get proper bullet performance.

lots of guys talking about that magical 7 mm that runs a 180 class bullet at or around 3000 FPS. The LRM was great but brass sucked, this or that requires this or that..... yadda yadda. While perusing another site, I started reading up on the straight 284 win and the Shehane. Seems like this cartridge gets overlooked a lot! Modern powders, lapua brass (necked up 6.5-284) great components should make this one really shine. Standard bolt face, long action, 7 rem mag-ish performance... what am I missing here? Could be that this round has been staring us in the face for so long it's been forgotten. Pretty efficient looking cartridge(s). Seriously, what am I missing??!! 280 ai is sexy? Why not a 284? Full disclosure note- I'm just thinking out loud and have done almost no real research... but seriously..., what am I missing?
If you are shooting out of a Short Action, use a 7mm SST, If you're using a long Action use a 7mm SS, 284Win, or 7mm Sherman Max. or 7mm SAUM. You will not get a great deal of velocity out of a 284 win. case and it will only benefit you with a long action using 180 Berger Hybrids or 180 gr. JLK. You may get 2950 FPS out of a 284 Shehane but that is loaded to the maximum and using a 25.5 to 26" barrel. I would just use a 7mm SAUM or a derivative of that case and you will attain 3000 fps without high pressure. 7mm SST 2.86" COAL is a good short action Magnum, and the other three cases I have mentioned will do fine in an intermediate 3.15" magazine length and also 3.34" magazine length for long actions.

I am building a couple of 28 Noslers, one with Varmint contour barrel for matches we have here in Texas that go to a mile. 3- classes 6mm-7mm and 30-338 class and the open class above 338 for the Cheytecs. The other #4 contour for hunting. You should look at the ballistics.

Very familiar with the 28 nosler ballistics. It's actually the screensaver on my phone, lol. Great round, just thought the 284 win and variants would perform better in a hunting style configuration than they do. Still think it's a good little round.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.