Stove

I use a Jetbloil MicroMo and would recommend it. If I were using it with the French press for coffee, I would get one without rivets.

EDIT* I have the minimo, it is 1L and has rivets. The .8L micromo does not. The minimo is easier to eat out of, the micromo is easier to make coffee with. After using one, I wonder why I ever tried anything different. IIRC, the Mo series stoves work at lower temps than the Flash or some other brands, they are regulated.

Last edited:
Second on the Jetboil MicroMo. You can fit a small fuel canister directly inside it for a very small, convenient package. The regulator keeps it operating at sub-freezing temperatures. If you're just looking to heat water, it's a great setup.

Another vote for the MSR Pocket as long as it isn't sub zero C or too windy. For cold conditions we use a Primus white spirits cooker.

Last edited:
I would just use it to warm water for a warm drink or a mountain house meal. I am not into coffee so it would be hot coco
I carry a Kelly Kettle in my vehicle. It heats a bottle of water for a hot drink or a freeze dried meal fast. And it does it with twigs for fuel. Simple and safe when not in use. No affiliation other than a happy owner: https://www.kellykettleusa.com

Another vote for the MSR. I can fit the stove and a tin foil windscreen within the pot I take to boil water for Mountain House meals and coffee.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.