Storage question

rbecker08

I have two bolt action rifles and have lived alone for years so just had trigger locks and kept them locked in cases. Now my wife is moving in and I was going to put bolt locks on them as well however this means that the bolts will always have to be open. Sorry for the lack of technical knowledge but there is a spring that pushes the firing pin forward and with the bolt open this is compressed.......is the bad on the bolt to be stored like this for potentially extended periods. Thanks

I have two bolt action rifles and have lived alone for years so just had trigger locks and kept them locked in cases. Now my wife is moving in and I was going to put bolt locks on them as well however this means that the bolts will always have to be open. Sorry for the lack of technical knowledge but there is a spring that pushes the firing pin forward and with the bolt open this is compressed.......is the bad on the bolt to be stored like this for potentially extended periods. Thanks

For long term storage I would recomend removing the bolt and placing them in a safety
deposit box. Most thieves will not take a rifle that doesn't have a bolt because it is nearly
impossible to sell and if you are an occasional shooter or you have children it is very safe.

You should de cock the firing pin for storage also.

Next thing to look at is buying a gun safe.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
+1 with J E Custom. My kids are grown up now but, when they lived at home I'd take the bolts out and lock them up in a mini safe. I wouldn't leave the spring in the compressed state.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.