Stone glacier

I wanted, awfully bad, to be a customer of theirs. I like their approach to hunting gear (minimal, durable and light). In the end, I didn't feel like they wanted my business very much. I have been into their headquarters 3 times to visit and talk shop with them, to get my paws on all of their offerings and ask questions.

Maybe I'm not old enough to look like I have money to buy one of their packs. I'll never know the reason, maybe it's just the Bozeman "resort-town" superiority complex, but each time I was in there I felt like I had immediately been judged and dismissed as soon as I got through their door. It made me feel like they were just biding their time while I was in there, consuming their BS time, anxious to get back into the back-room to practice their elk calling.

Maybe they are right, buying a $650 pack is no small consideration for me. It would have been a long term investment and would have required a lot of research and hands-on experimenting (which is what I was trying to do).

Ultimately I decided that I was treated better in the mobile Kuiu trailer when they came to visit my area. I bought their frame and suspension system, plus their 5200 pack, with the math working out that I can wear this bag out and get a replacement bag for the same cost (effectively getting two packs for the same cost as one SG of similar size). No, they are not really comparable in features, weight or construction, but it will serve the same purpose for me.

They lost my business

Country Bumpkin....this must be the trailer you were writing about...
Mid to later summer on road to boise.....
As usual....i just had time to....PASS BY........

Attachments

• 0920180902_HDR.jpg
    0920180902_HDR.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 74
Country Bumpkin....this must be the trailer you were writing about...
Mid to later summer on road to boise.....
As usual....i just had time to....PASS BY........
That's the one. They were slammed inside with a line waiting outside in the hot sun. I was one of the first waves inside, even with being really busy, their service was exemplary, staff was knowledgeable, and I felt like they wanted my business (and future business).

I should have swerved in front of them and brought them to a sketching halt out there on the freeway.....seems as though it was around mountain home...
And i need some damned good raingear....tired of packing those rainproof packlites and getting soaked on the mountain as well as the store......
NOTE TO SELF........DIVORCED...BUY QUALITY FOR SELF FOR NOW ON.....

I should have swerved in front of them and brought them to a sketching halt out there on the freeway.....seems as though it was around mountain home...
And i need some damned good raingear....tired of packing those rainproof packlites and getting soaked on the mountain as well as the store......
NOTE TO SELF........DIVORCED...BUY QUALITY FOR SELF FOR NOW ON.....
After reading a lot of reviews online, and for the dollars that I was willing to part with, I bought Kryptek Koldo tops and bottoms for my SE Alaska Hunt. Both performed really well and I would recommend them. I think I got my jacket for $250 and pants for $170
https://www.bobwards.com/kryptek-apparel-mens-koldo-rain-jacket-119202?color=KRYPTEK HIGHLANDER&size=XL&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=2455&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=393536363339&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7vKO7Ijp3gIVdR-tBh0vrglYEAQYASABEgKLQvD_BwE

Sorry OP, I'm done hikacking.

What's your thoughts on stone glacier packs for hunting? Im not really sure about the rifle attachment. Do you guys have a better attachment than they sell?

I bought a Stone Glacier X curve pack with the minimalist dry bag this past spring.
I've had the opportunity to pack two Elk and a Muley out with it this year, and it's a really great pack.
The Bulls were a 3 mile pack through steep rugged terrain, and the Muley was 2 miles and I got him in one trip.

My favorite part is that it's super light and extremely tough, it stays close to the spine when loaded and wont shift around when climbing over blow down.
The rifle sling works good if you're not in a hurry to get your gun out.

I called in and talked to the guys there and they were really good to deal with, FYI they give a 20 percent discount to military and veterans.
I'll try to find a picture of my pack loaded with my Muley

Here we go
I love the load dry cell bag, it doesn't bulge out when filled with meat and it's easy to wash.
20181108_102628.jpg

20181108_103336.jpg

I have a Sky Talus. It's one of those 6900 c.i. packs. I like it. I spend 9 days on a ridge last year and 5 days this season. No kills... sorry!. On the 9 dayer, it was about 90 lbs. I guess you could say I wasn't untra-light. The pack was fine. I wasn't! Anyway... I got to my spot, set up camp and took off the top pack and compressed things down to a nice day-sized hunting pack that carried great. You'd think 6900 c.i. would be enough volume but it's tight every time I pack it. That might be a good thing. Anyway, the pack was up to anything I dished out and I was alone for 9 days.

The hip belt accessory pack/pockets suck beyond belief. I ordered two and both were to small and the zippers required two hands to close. Just try to manipulate your right hand onto your left hip with your pack strapped in. Well, let's just say the pocket stays a little open till you drop your pack and get it closed then. They need bigger pouches and some sort of one-handed closure. Somehow, my review of their hip pouches didn't make onto their website. That smacks of big time BS but still, the pack is great. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Oh, and I got a couple of those little internal pouches that hang off of loops on the inside of the pack, that you can put little ditties in. They're very good. Just don't waste your money on the hip-belt pouches until they upgrade them, which apparently they have no plan to.
Can't speak to the gun caddie although I might buy one just to see if it works. From what I hear, it's not awesome but you don't know till you know. IMO, you should have your gun in your hand whenever possible. When I walk in, it's usually the day before the opener so who cares if my gun is strapped to the side of my pack? Walking out, if I haven't killed anything, I'm usually so beat, I'm not even hunting on the way out. Seeing a shootable animal would be the most amazing stroke of luck since I'm doing nothing more than making tracks down the trail to my rig. Still, it only makes sense to get your your gun if you need to.

I want the rain cover to keep boots and crap dry under my hammock. Oh, and it won't hurt to keep the pack dry either when going in.

The pack is very, very good. It add-ons need some help. I've had some other high end packs but this one seems to remove most of my excuses of why I failed. Stone Glacier makes a good pack. If you don't want to deal with their customer service, just order it online and fit it in your own home. Packing stuff is hard. The "suck' is a matter of degree. A guy would do well to get his body into very good shape before he jumped into the woods with a heavy pack. SG packs won't inhibit a hunter. If anything, they'll remove some annoyances and weight. That said, if your 60 pounds overweight, you cant spend enough money to make your hump in, fun.

I have a Sky Talus. It's one of those 6900 c.i. packs. I like it. I spend 9 days on a ridge last year and 5 days this season. No kills... sorry!. On the 9 dayer, it was about 90 lbs. I guess you could say I wasn't untra-light. The pack was fine. I wasn't! Anyway... I got to my spot, set up camp and took off the top pack and compressed things down to a nice day-sized hunting pack that carried great. You'd think 6900 c.i. would be enough volume but it's tight every time I pack it. That might be a good thing. Anyway, the pack was up to anything I dished out and I was alone for 9 days.

The hip belt accessory pack/pockets suck beyond belief. I ordered two and both were to small and the zippers required two hands to close. Just try to manipulate your right hand onto your left hip with your pack strapped in. Well, let's just say the pocket stays a little open till you drop your pack and get it closed then. They need bigger pouches and some sort of one-handed closure. Somehow, my review of their hip pouches didn't make onto their website. That smacks of big time BS but still, the pack is great. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Oh, and I got a couple of those little internal pouches that hang off of loops on the inside of the pack, that you can put little ditties in. They're very good. Just don't waste your money on the hip-belt pouches until they upgrade them, which apparently they have no plan to.
Can't speak to the gun caddie although I might buy one just to see if it works. From what I hear, it's not awesome but you don't know till you know. IMO, you should have your gun in your hand whenever possible. When I walk in, it's usually the day before the opener so who cares if my gun is strapped to the side of my pack? Walking out, if I haven't killed anything, I'm usually so beat, I'm not even hunting on the way out. Seeing a shootable animal would be the most amazing stroke of luck since I'm doing nothing more than making tracks down the trail to my rig. Still, it only makes sense to get your your gun if you need to.

I want the rain cover to keep boots and crap dry under my hammock. Oh, and it won't hurt to keep the pack dry either when going in.

The pack is very, very good. It add-ons need some help. I've had some other high end packs but this one seems to remove most of my excuses of why I failed. Stone Glacier makes a good pack. If you don't want to deal with their customer service, just order it online and fit it in your own home. Packing stuff is hard. The "suck' is a matter of degree. A guy would do well to get his body into very good shape before he jumped into the woods with a heavy pack. SG packs won't inhibit a hunter. If anything, they'll remove some annoyances and weight. That said, if your 60 pounds overweight, you cant spend enough money to make your hump in, fun.
Good points about the fitness. Between my buddy and I we packed out a bear, two Sitka blacktail, three elk and two mulies. None of it was "fun" but all of it was doable with conditioning and finding that special lizard brain state .... suddenly you are dropping the tailgate with the last load.

I have a buddy with an SG and he loves it.

I have the Stone Glacier Solo 3300. I love it. Ive packed out over a dozen elk with it and it's handled everything Ive thrown at it. The heaviest peak I've had on my back was two antelope that wwe just skinned, cut in half and threw in game bags. I strapped both of them to the pack and hiked out two miles. The pack was 120lbs(I'm the first to call BS on people who exaggerate and talk about their heavy packs but I actually weighed it on a scale). Overall, the Stone Glacier is comfortable, the frame is stiff, and my guess is that any normal person will fail long before their packs do.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.