Stolen Rifle..Starting Fresh

speeders

I recently had my rifle stolen and am going to start fresh. I am looking for some insight in purchasing a new gun. I am getting jerked around a little from my insurance company so i need to buy a factory rifle under a $1000.00 as I have to replace my kids bows as well as half my hunting gear. I have been lookin at the Savage 11/111 long range hunter and the Weatherby Vangaurd range certified. From what i have read they seem like they have decent triggers and should not need a lot of work done...pillar bedding etc. I was shooting a rem 700 in 300 win mag previously and it needed quite a bit of work done to get it to shoot. Maybe was a lemon?

I will be using this rifle strictly for hunting. Erveryting from deer to Moose. I am looing at 3 calibers. 300 WM as I have a pile of brass etc, 7 Rem mag and 6.5 X 284. Realistically, i probably wont be shooting past 700-800 yards.

My remington had a Kahles Mulitzero scope. I am looking to replace the scope as well. I was looking at a NightForce 3-15 X50, possibly a G7 scope. Any comments as to low light capabilities with this scope. I had bought a Huskemaw and took it back 2 days later after comparing to my Kahles. I know the Night Force scopes are well built, just unsure of glass quality / light transmission.

Any feedback as to any rifles for under a 1000 bucks would be awesome. I dont want a 10 lbs rifle as I have a remington sendaro in 25-06.

Thanks for your input in advance.

…........................................
I will be using this rifle strictly for hunting. Erveryting from deer to Moose. I am looing at 3 calibers. 300 WM as I have a pile of brass etc, 7 Rem mag and 6.5 X 284. Realistically, i probably wont be shooting past 700-800 yards. …..................
............Any feedback as to any rifles for under a 1000 bucks would be awesome. I dont want a 10 lbs rifle as I have a remington sendaro in 25-06.

Thanks for your input in advance.y remington had a Kahles Mulitzero scope. I am looking to replace the scope as well. I was looking at a N

If ELK and Griz might some day come in around that MOOSE class think about something like a New or used Tikka T 3 SS Lite 338WM (may not be importing today-but mine was new $575 Dec 2008) at 6.6lb and "Choots" (new swamp people word {:>) 160gr to 300gr. I'm 70 and use 185GMXs and no brake. Spend ALL the rest of the $$$ on Zeiss glass.
You can thank me later. Good luck-sorry for the bad luck.

If ELK and Griz might some day come in around that MOOSE class think about something like a New or used Tikka T 3 SS Lite 338WM (may not be importing today-but mine was new $575 Dec 2008) at 6.6lb and "Choots" (new swamp people word {:>) 160gr to 300gr. I'm 70 and use 185GMXs and no brake. Spend ALL the rest of the $$$ on Zeiss glass.
You can thank me later. Good luck-sorry for the bad luck.

Thanks T3-Oleman, I had a 338 and its recoil is not for this guy..I do like the tikka rifles but again they are light and tend to generate alot of recoil. I agree, zeiss is great glass. I want something with a custom turret that I can dial in the exact distance.

I agree with OleMan on the glass. If you want something simple, I have been pretty impressed by the Rapid Z reticle. If not that, the 3.5-15 would be perfect. As for the rifle, stick with the 300.

id say the 111 LRH in 7mm mag would do the job rather nicely i have a 11 LRH in 6.5 creedmoor and love it shoots every thing i feed it subMOA. and they come with a adj. brake, adj. check rest, and a nice but pad. Plus they shoot great.

as far as scopes go it sounds like you had i great one and that is what i would say to go back to. ;-}

id say the 111 LRH in 7mm mag would do the job rather nicely i have a 11 LRH in 6.5 creedmoor and love it shoots every thing i feed it subMOA. and they come with a adj. brake, adj. check rest, and a nice but pad. Plus they shoot great.

as far as scopes go it sounds like you had i great one and that is what i would say to go back to. ;-}

Thanks submoa. I have picked the gun up a few times and it feels good. The only downfall is the bolt / action feels sloppy. How do you think the brake performs? Can you feel a difference in recoil from the on/off postion. may seem like a stupid question but i spoke with a guy that had this gun and he was saying it didnt matter...no difference. What about the trigger, have you adjusted down. WHat is the lowest these triggers can be adjusted to?

Thanks.

I have only shot mine with the brake on one three shot string when I first got it and I don't really remember if I cut any recoil or not because the creed moor really doesn't have much recoil but it was louder than **** and that is why I leave it shut.

The trigger is great for me I don't have a trigger gage but it fells to be about 2 1/2 lbs and very crisp with no over travel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.