Stocks for Ruger M77 Mark II Target

ing

Hi guys, new to the forum here. Its great with lots of useful info. Anyways I have a Ruger M77 Mark II Target chambered in 25-06 and I'm thinking about putting a lighter weight stock on it. Its a beautiful rifle and a tack driver to boot, but after packing it around for a week in the mountains of Colorado it gets a lil heavy. I can find all kinds of aftermarket stocks for the standard M77 MKII, but I can only find one for the target model. Its a Hogue Overmolded and I dont think its much lighter than the original stock. I'm thinking about getting a standard Ruger stock and sanding out the barrel channel to fit. Have any of you tried this? Any other ideas? Thanks

Its a lot lighter than a chainsaw:D Thats the answer i got when i asked a hunting partner who was carreing a 220VT around some rough country a few years ago how he could carry that beast around all day=He logged for a liveing!
Putting a McMillan stock on is gonna make it a sweet looking unit and will be just as durable if not more so than the laminent BUT its a lot of $$$ to save a pound, maybe a pound and a half at the most. The weights in the barrel! Putting a sporter stock on it will make it balance poorly and only save you a few ounces BTDT
Might be a good time to add another gun to the arsonal that carries better and save the VT for use closer to the trucklightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.