stocks: Boyds, stockade, Bell and Carlson, HS Precision (pic heavy)

the shotty

I have been on this forum from a lurking standpoint since around 2009, I have learned a lot and have seen a lot of names come and go that have been very helpful. This is in part my attempt to pass that on. I see lots of threads throughout the forums about budget minded builds and which this which that and it often seems people don't have the patients to search and it leads to multiple posts on subject that get covered on a monthly basis. In my years reading these threads I often don't see much firsthand experience or my favorite, picture comparisons. So this is my attempt to help and give insight with the knowledge I have gleaned from this and other sites and my procurement of gear over the past few years of putting my own rifles together.

First up: Stockade
I started a build in the summer of 2013, after lots of reading I liked what people had to say about stockade and being a money conscience ( read cheap skate) do it yourselfer I also liked the fact you could get an option to finish the stock yourself (money saver option) and I ordered the stock on 2Nov13 with an estimated ship date of 5-6 months which was fine. In September of 2014 I called as I still had not received the stock and posed as a potential new customer to assess wait times. Kevin was plesant on the phone and again quoted 5-6 months for a new stock. I asked about my current order and Kevin apologized about some set backs and said the stock would be done very soon but was iffy as to if he would get to it before general season in October. In December still nothing so I called again the second week of Dec, he seemed surprised that they had an order that far behind. He went and checked and said my stock was on the bench getting the accessory's installed. I thought it was a little odd as I only ordered standard studs. He told me I would have it in January. Last week of January I called again as I still had nothing. He once again went and looked and said mine would be the next one going into the mold to be made. I received the stock today, 12Feb2015, 15 months after I ordered. I don't mean to dog on stockade stocks, this has just been my experience and I will not likely order a product from them again as I hate the few more weeks spiel a few months after the last few weeks spiel.

On to the stock its self.
I opted for his "new fill" which he says is much stronger than the normal fill and would be stronger than the McMillan or manners. I didn't really care, it was an extra $40 so I told him to do it. As stated I ordered the money saver option knowing I would need to finish the stock. I am impressed by what I received. It feels like it is better built than the other stocks I have and it won't take much to finish at all. The inletting is the cleanest looking of the ones I own and comes with pillars pre installed and the rest of the stock being fiberglass. It is heavier than I expected it to be and balances about the pistol grip and feels good in the hand. The stock has a Flatt belly from the trigger guard all the way down the fore end and has a 2 1/2 wide fore end. The stock is 30 7/8 inches long excluding recoil pad. The but exhibits the least amount of taper of all the stocks on both the top and bottom of the stock. I have not shot behind this stock but feels comfortable both holding and laying prone behind it. My biggest drawback to this stock is no support or bottom metal and Kevin does not recommend inletting for bottom metal as he says the walls are too thin for savage bottom metal. Its set up for internal box mag or single shot only and I really preferred having detachable mags. With the stock taking so long I ended up going a different route. In the end, as stated I feel like it is the best built of the stocks I currently own. Some pictures. (The stockade has the butt hook) I haven't had the chance to weigh this stock yet, I will update when I do. Price paid was $355

Attachments

• IMG_20150212_183344.jpg
    IMG_20150212_183344.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Next up: Bell & Carlson

I have used a b&c on a buddy's rem SA over the last year or so and just built a .308 on a savage SA with another one. This stock weighs in at 3.7 lbs which is on the heavy end of these stocks, it has a full length bedding block and is advertised as not needing to be bedded. I really dislike the flat fore end on the b&c and find it ugly and I don't find it comfortable to hold in my hand when shooting offhand. Personal prefferance and some people have gone to lengths to round the corners but I worry about doing too many modifications and making the fore end weak. We picked this one up used for $200 and is a good cheap option but not my favorite. The fore end is 2 1/4 wide and over all length is 30 3/4 without recoil pad. New these go for $270, again not recommended to use detachable bottom metal and it only comes in internal mag. Some pics, it is the scoped rifle:

Last edited:
Next up, HS Precision.

This has been my personal favorite. I have not used the vertical grip as much as the pro2000 model which has a more traditional style grip. I sold the pro2000 I favor of having a more vertical/tactical grip which I find much more comfortable from all positions. When shooting prone in particular my hand didn't completely fit on the grip with my pinky and ring finger hanging off. Anyway, I purchased an m24 style stock for a long action build (the one I originally ordered the stockade for) and it is by far the most comfortable to me. The pistol grip is contoured with a nice palm swell and and has a nice rounded fore end that is also comfortable to me in all shooting positions. It is also the lightest of the stocks at 2.5 pounds before bottom metal and balances very well. HS precision has a full length aluminum bedding block so in theory you don't have to bed the action the rest of the stock is a kevlar material. I ended up picking up a second HS precision for my short action to have matching stocks. Both are outfitted with accurate mag bottom metal and use AI style mags. They have 2 3/8 wide fore ends and is 30 3/8 long without recoil pad.I picked up a new take off stock for the long action with the bottom metal for $400, I bought a new SA stock from stockys for $396 and $205 for bottom metal with one mag. My only gripe on these stocks is the finish chipped breather easily while installing the bottom metal on the short action and it has some gaps in the fill on the bedding block which I try to show in the pictures. I ran the hs2000 for 4 years in field conditions target shooting, predator hunting, and even a backpack hunt with it riding in an eberlestock without chipping the fill. Pictures, the painted stock is the short action HS, the pics of the single black stock are the LA:

Here is a picture of the pro2000 for comparison

Last edited:
Last up, Boyds tacticool.

I have used a Boyds tacticool on my marlin 917 17hmr for about three years and for the price its been a great stock. I paid $99 for it from Boyd's. The weight is just under 3 pounds, it doesn't have pillars and is a laminate wood stock with a textured paint. The fit was good, I didn't need any other fitting but I did skim bed. I know this is on a rimfire but from what I have read they are made from the same blanks and custom inletted for the action specified at time of order. Fore arm is 2 1/8 wide and overall length is 30" with out recoil pad. I have the leas amount of pictures of this stock but it is the spotter profile with the longer bipod. In the end I hope this helps some with what the differences are and I apologize for any mistyping and for the poor pictures, this was all done from my phone.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.