stock rifles

Good thing for us lowly factory Winchester, and Remington shooters, that the rifles that ''annoy some folks the most'' have adjustable factory triggers.:rolleyes: (not aftermarket) But, I suppose DIY isnt for everyone.
To each thier own.

Good thing for us lowly factory Winchester, and Remington shooters, that the rifles that ''annoy some folks the most'' have adjustable factory triggers.:rolleyes: (not aftermarket) But, I suppose DIY isnt for everyone.
To each thier own.

If the standard remington trigger was decent (which it isn't) then there wouldn't be such a plethora or aftermarket units. Why is it CZ, , tikka, steyr, etc can produce guns with perfectly fine triggers/stocks yet others scrimp out?

The ownership of one rifle over another doesn't make one shooter better than another. My point is that remington (for example) are taking the **** by not fitting a decent trigger. Incidentally, i set all my triggers to 1.5lbs (me, not a gunsmith or someone else).

I own an old Winchester 70 in 30-06 which my father past to me. I recently picked up a new one in the dealers and the differences are huge - the new one looks like it was slapped together in the third-world by comparison.

Every rifle I have owned until last year was factory less trigger jobs most remmington. I thought it was it was a great compliment to the gun having 2 lb trigger but my 06 went off once putting from safe to fire to eject the chamberd round. Old style action" scary" last year I finished having built my first custom it was fun, exiting and the first time I shot at the 1000 yard gong I hit 5 of 6 in less then 1 moa I'm hooked, but I'm also afraid the next customs will be few and far between. that is unless I can get Obama to send some of his stimulis to me I didn't vote for him so I dought that will happen .
But the new custom was built around a trued 700 and a 1.5 lb jewell trigger @ over $200.00 was worth every penny. the nice thing is like the song goes one piece @ a time it took three years and I have one of three 270 amps in the world that shoots like a dream.

Every rifle I have owned until last year was factory less trigger jobs most remmington. I thought it was it was a great compliment to the gun having 2 lb trigger but my 06 went off once putting from safe to fire to eject the chamberd round. Old style action" scary" last year I finished having built my first custom it was fun, exiting and the first time I shot at the 1000 yard gong I hit 5 of 6 in less then 1 moa I'm hooked, but I'm also afraid the next customs will be few and far between. that is unless I can get Obama to send some of his stimulis to me I didn't vote for him so I dought that will happen .
But the new custom was built around a trued 700 and a 1.5 lb jewell trigger @ over $200.00 was worth every penny. the nice thing is like the song goes one piece @ a time it took three years and I have one of three 270 amps in the world that shoots like a dream.

What is a 270 amp? Ive never hered of it. I suppose maybe thats due to only 3 being made, but youve got me curious.

All of my rifles are stock. I hope to get a new barrel for my Howa chambered in 300 Dakota one day, but until then it will remain stock.

The Howa has the scope that came with it, the only thing different is the Burris Signature Zee rings I bought when the stock rings failed.
It shoots well enough with my hand-loads, .54moa at 400 yards was my last group.

Last edited:
My favourite stock rifle - Tikka M65 in 25-06. Only modification is having the barrel screwcut for a moderator. Scope is a swarovski habicht 2-9x42 (30mm tube).

tikkam65.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool lookin rig Scottsgun. How does the can compare to a brake? I here theyre nice to shoot, and the can reduces a simmilar ammount of recoil. Not to mention reduce the noise. Lots of guys shootin next to guys with brakes just pack up and leave so they dont have to put up with the noise and blast from the guy next to them. I know I move a bench or two away from braked rifles. I wish can's were more previlant here. They look kinda cool too

Stock just cryo and a little trigger work on both… Sendero sf2 bedded into an accuracy international stock which was a great improvement.
Just picked up an Elk mount today as a matter of fact my sendero took this past fall. This fall it's my Lapua's maiden voyage into the mountains.
98B-2.jpg
7mmRemMag.jpg

I feel your pain, with my meager $30,000 a yr job and $40,000 a yr bills I dont have much at all to spend on my shooting habit. I have spent the last two years saving to buy enough reloading equipment to get started,just a few more months and I should be on my way there. I can tell you from experience that I have never been looked down on by anyone on L/R/H for my lack of funds or experience and everyone has been happy to help with any of the DIY questions that I have posted. One thing that I have done to try and make my money stretch a little farther is sold off the few guns that I didnt use and got a long and short action Savage, Barrel swaps are easy and that way I only have to buy two stocks and scopes and then I am just out what I spend on Barrels and I really like the accu triggers.

What is a 270 amp? Ive never hered of it. I suppose maybe thats due to only 3 being made, but youve got me curious.

it's a 7mm dakota necked down to .277 with a 40 degree shoulder designed to shoot wildcat 169.5 .277 bullets real close to kirby 270 xpress but with the 7mm dakota instead of the 300 dakota as a parent case

I've just recently started aquiring semi custom and custom rifle/s but I would have to admit I have easily shot more animals with my Accumark 300wby than ALL others combined.

I'm guessing/hoping, over time, that will change.

Mmmmmm, a fast twist, fast and flat shooting .277 with 169.5's like say ummm a 277AM!!! What's not to like. :) Hoping to have it by this fall. Hoping.......:rolleyes:

Winmag,

I really can't understand why your governement makes it so hard to own a moderator. You can own handguns and semi auto rifles yet not a moderator - just maddness. I think it's the fault of the nonesence in movies where the assassin screws one onto his rifle and whacks out a 338 bullet with hardly the sound of a mouses fart resulting.

What they do essentially is eliminate the sonic crack and reduce the loudness of the shot significantly. Recoil is reduced (perhaps by half) and it's been proven that because the bullet leaves the barrel and travels approx 4" inches in still air, accurracy is improved.

All of my hunting rifles have moderators, even my little 22lr plinker. It's a weird experience to shoot sub-sonics in it and all it sounds like is an air rifle.

You would not be welcome on any stalking estate with a muzzle break. Those are reserved for long range target rifles and ranges. A ghillie is more likely to kick your arse than congratulate you on a fine shot.

Moderators are the norm here - the reduce recoil, sound and give you more chances when culling multiple deer from herds as the deer cannot locate the direction of the shot. In many cases they'll stand for a few seconds in confusion when one drops.

The police in the Uk will not refuse authority to buy and own a moderator if they know that the rifle is to be used for hunting. This is for fear of being sued under Health & Safety Laws, e.g. they refused you one and your hearing suffered because you can't use ear plugs or mufflers hunting.

CIMG0563.jpg

011.jpg

Scotsgun is the name meaning youR from Scotland ? I spent a few months living with a smith in Irvine in the south part os Scotland. and had to say there were some things I would have loved to try to sneak into my luggage to bring home, a moderator was one of them. But I am glad I don't have to go through the hassel of owning firearms like some go through in the UK. AT LEAST NOT YET!!

I only live about an hour away from Irvine.
Unfortunately the firearms laws here promise to get alot worse due to the murders in Cumbria last month and murderer on the loose last week, Raoul Moat. I've already requested immigration application papers for Canada and New Zealand.

I would not suggest you try and take a moderator to the US. A couple of UK stalkers did so last year, were stopped at customs, jailed for almost a month before being deported minus the moderators (which were destroyed). Thankfully they managed to retain their rifles.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.