Stock repair

+1 on Gray Marine Tek, tough and sandable. If it can hold up to fiberglass boat hull pounding that little piece is nothing. +1 on taking a dremel to etch a couple spots for the patch to actually grab and hold on. Maybe even a couple small drill holes. JB though, will be harder material which is not a bad thing either. Site prep for the whatever you use will be most important aspect of the repair.

Thanks all for the advice. I will work on getting a couple of spots notched to help hold. A friend gave me some really strong epoxy they use at his work. Once it dries I will make it blend in with the rest of the stock.

like swe123, marine tex - best to be sticky/bonds well, moldable & not runny - then shape with rasp & sand paper. Almost all of my stocks have deep enough gouges and dings requiring filling and if not like filling a hole then making some type of dam or some type of putty like epoxy.

Anyone ever play around with adding dye to JB weld? Its a medium grey color out of the tube, but I would bet you could add a touch of olive drab to it if you experimented a tad. Might get close enough that it is not noticeable on that small spot. Just a thought.

If you want it to really stay put after repair, drill two or three small holes vertically where the patch goes, and epoxy some small steel or brass pins before proceeding with the repair. Brownells has the brass pins in different diameters.

Thanks guys. I will give a shot tonight. I was afraid it would come off easy since it won't be anchored to the stock.
You need to put some small screws in the stock to hold the epoxy. Devon has some good stuff for this it's got metal in it.you need screws so it's anchored in.

Mixol pigments available at most woodworking supply shops (rocker, woodcraft, etc) will allow you to tint the epoxy to almost any color... available in 20-30 colors which you can blend to get close. I believe they have color charts with ratios to get you close to about any color. That spot is so small it's worth a try before repainting the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.