Stock repair

midmo

I took a stock to have bedding material removed ( I bought it used) and to bed my rifle to the stock. A piece of the stock ripped while he was removing the old bedding compound. What would be the best way to fix this?

Attachments

• 208B4211-3238-4743-9EE6-FEE514BAD1F2.jpeg
    208B4211-3238-4743-9EE6-FEE514BAD1F2.jpeg
    796.9 KB · Views: 528
  • 5A64CEAD-01F2-4078-8781-5985663974E7.jpeg
    5A64CEAD-01F2-4078-8781-5985663974E7.jpeg
    927.2 KB · Views: 524
I would probably clean the area with alcohol, let dry, and then add some JB Weld. Then sand to flush.

Might be better ideas to come along.

I had to "fit" my bottom metal into a stock once with a sanding drum/dremel tool. Well, I could have done a better job I suppose... JB Weld took care of it!

Thanks guys. I will give a shot tonight. I was afraid it would come off easy since it won't be anchored to the stock.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a plan but just to add - the JB Weld I used mixed gray, like your stock. You could add flecks and threads with a sharpie. Or epoxy/paint, same thing in the end really.

Before you put the epoxy or jb on it cut some holes or undercuts in the depression to lock the piece in. If you don't it may come off from recoil. One cheap way to fix the paint is to put camo on the stock and have part of the camo cover your patch. But to be perfect again it will need repainted. If you don't that repair is the first thing you will see every time you pick the thing up.
Shep

Midmo, I've had several stocks painted by a friend who refinishes wood stocks. He said it's easy and several coats of clear keeps it looking new for a long time. He did the webbing like you have.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.