Stock recommendations for AR15

ryno

Howdy, I've got a RRA with a 6 position tactical stock. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought an A2 type, as there seem to be more than a few replacement stocks available with an adjustable comb. Any thoughts on how to get this done? Or maybe a better question is will this Magpul stock work on my rifle? It looks like it would only work with an A2 type.

FIXED & PRECISION ADJUSTABLE STOCKS – AR15/M16 Type Rifles, FN FAL, HK G3 - PRS® Precision-Adjustable Stock – AR15/M16 (5.56x45) Model

Thank you for reading,

Ryno

It will depend on your buffer tube. Just make sure you get the right one for your tube commercial, or mil. spec. The PRS is about as good as I've ever tried. It's a bit heavy compared to the A2, but the adjustablity is worth the extra weight.

It will depend on your buffer tube. Just make sure you get the right one for your tube commercial, or mil. spec. The PRS is about as good as I've ever tried. It's a bit heavy compared to the A2, but the adjustablity is worth the extra weight.

Thanks for the quick response!

Ok, I'm pretty ignorant to say the least, especially compared to everyone else here. So, forgive the stupid questions, from the dumb farmer from Indiana.

1. How do I tell what my tube is? It's a typical RRA stock.
2. Do you think, the PRS will attach to my receiver / tube as is? Or can I change it out?
3. Good to know, about the weight. My AR has a 24" heavy barrel, so it's heavy enough already. I live in Indiana, so it's not like I have to tote it very far, but it's good to keep this stuff in mind.

Thanks again,
Ryno

Nomad is right. The full kit isn't cheap, but it's about the best for long range AR shooting. The extra weight will probably ballance your rifle out pretty well. The PRS isn't super heavy, just a little heavier than most 6pos collaspables are.

Thanks fellas. Yep, $370 is kinda pricey, when I bought the RRA lower with a 2 stage match trigger for $299. Well, if you're gonna play, you gotta pay. Well, I know what I'll be saving for now. Thanks again for the feedback.

Ryno

Whats wrong with a standard A2 stock? I learned to shoot the AR weapons system with one. I currently use one on my BCM.

I regret not buying that, but I have the collapsible bottle stock. My only real issue with this, is the comb is a little short...

I regret not buying that, but I have the collapsible bottle stock. My only real issue with this, is the comb is a little short...
Oh I see. You can get an A2 stock kit fairly cheep. You will need a new buffer and spring, buffer tube, plus the stock( a kit) will you post a pic of the rifle so I can see how you have it set up?

Jon

Here is a pic of mine I dont have any comb hight issues. Maybe the solution is simpler than a new stock. Alot can be done with a mattres pad and some duct tape.
guns0012.jpg

Oh I see. You can get an A2 stock kit fairly cheep. You will need a new buffer and spring, buffer tube, plus the stock( a kit) will you post a pic of the rifle so I can see how you have it set up?

Jon

Here is a pic of mine I dont have any comb hight issues. Maybe the solution is simpler than a new stock. Alot can be done with a mattres pad and some duct tape.
guns0012.jpg

Wow!! Really nice outfit there!!

Here's mine. Yeah, I know, the picture isn't great.

AR1-1.jpg

Something else to add, is I want to get a Trijicon RMR for it someday too. It is going to have to sit up pretty high, in order to get over the top of the tourets. So that's why, I'll need the taller comb. Thoughts?

Ryno

Oh ok I see your issue you need a new stock just like you said or move your scope forward some. I would say get a diffrent scope mount but it will cost more than the stock. I would move it forward if it were me. Here is everything you will need, I only used sites I have ordered from in the past. If you didnt know already you can do this work your self very quick and easy. Just youtube it

AR-15 BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY - Brownells
Butt Stock Assembly Group, A2, New
Buttstock Assembly AR-15 A2 Synthetic Charcoal

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.