Stock recomendations for a light weight build

pburton

Hi everyone!

I am in the process of having a light weight rifle built. It is a .260 rem built on a Rem 700 short action. Bartlein #3 barrel. At this point my gunsmith is just getting started with blueprinting the action. I have decided on all of the other parts except the stock. I am looking for some recommendations on a rigid light weight stock. I have used B&C stocks in the past. They are OK but I am looking for something a little different. I see a lot of people like McMillan and Manners. But I have never had the opportunity to use one. Are they worth the extra investment? Are there others that I should look at? I would like to keep my budget under 600 for the stock. I would like to hear some reasons for your recommendations. Thanks for any help.

If you want light, then go Mcmillan or Manners. I have an edge fill McMillan and it is great. I also have a Manners GAT, which is not one of their lighter stocks, but I really like it as well. You are not going to get light weight with a B&C or HS.

Hi everyone!

I am in the process of having a light weight rifle built. It is a .260 rem built on a Rem 700 short action. Bartlein #3 barrel. At this point my gunsmith is just getting started with blueprinting the action. I have decided on all of the other parts except the stock. I am looking for some recommendations on a rigid light weight stock. I have used B&C stocks in the past. They are OK but I am looking for something a little different. I see a lot of people like McMillan and Manners. But I have never had the opportunity to use one. Are they worth the extra investment? Are there others that I should look at? I would like to keep my budget under 600 for the stock. I would like to hear some reasons for your recommendations. Thanks for any help.

Here's what I run on one of my LWLR (Light Weight Long Range) rifles...

https://www.stockysstocks.com/bell-...wsm-weatherby-mk-v-with-aluminum-bedding.html

They're great stocks for the money, especially once you get the action bedded, and the barrel floated.

I wanted a lightweight stock that still had a tactical/prone shooting design. I went with the Manners EH-1, but they now have models 1-5 varying in shape and design from tactical style with steep grip angles to very conventional hunting shapes. I highly recommend them. On mine anyway, the carbon fiber is stiff enough I don't get bipod point of aim shift between bags, bipod, off a backpack, etc... I'm real happy with mine. Pricey however.

Manners EH, McMillan edge, Hi-tech (a lot of fitting required), or the Bell Carlson mountain stocks.... that tmk just about covers them all except the really obscure companies which I personally would avoid due to lack of feedback.

For my money McMillans Hunters Edge does what is needed. I have a original Rem Ti in 7-08. Took the original blind magazine stock off, replaced with McMillans BDL style, bought bottom metal from Brownells, and still reduced overall weight. With Leupold mounts, rings, and 4.5X14 VX3, sling, and loaded, weight right at 6#. I lose a little more when I use the 2.5x8 VX3.......

Did the same restock with my Rem 700 280 Mtn DM and with same VX3 optics weight is right at 7 # total....

Another vote for the Manners. Get a size and shape to your liking and get the carbon fiber fill. Hard to beat for a light weight rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.