Stock Pressure Point

bahabill

OK so I won a Howa 300 prc rifle from Arizona Elk Society . The OE stock was a real piece of junk. Only shot it once and a bout 30 rounds. It was all over the place at 100 yd. Best group was just about 1.35 inch.
So i got a Bell and Carlson replacement and fitted my LONG ACTION assy.
There is a pressure point in front at end of stock. I know there are some older discussion on it in here but this is a newer round so I was looking for insight being once removed I cant put back.
I did not bed anything yet and i still did not find a good load workup yet. Just wanted opinions....
Thanks in advance guys!!!!
Howa 1500 light barrel with OE muzzle break
300PRC
Vortex PSTII 5-25

The pressure point in the forearm is there to control barrel harmonics. Some barrels respond in a positive way to it (the pressure point), some don't. It does not matter whether the barrel is chambered for the 300PRC, .22/250 or .416 Rem Mag, the same principal applies. Most will free float the barrel. If you'd decide it was better with it, it can be put back in. But, as I said, most would not choose to 'tune' the pressure point by reducing its height a bit at a time, they would just remove it.

I will try it with factory hornady 220 eldm again and see how it shoots the way it is. If not ill go step by step and see how it goes.
Thanks guys

I had a 270 wsm I bought from a pawn shop and someone removed the pressure point. It shot all over the place. I had the trigger done and bedded and still no good. I sent it back and they shot it in their factory stock with 2 different loads and it was sub moa. They sent it back and I sold it. I didn't like the idea but it worked. Remington does the same on some of their models too.

Years ago, a company made a field adjustable insert for the barrel channel near the tip. It was basically a micrometer jack installed in the forend. It could be adjusted to compensate for temperature and loads. But this was when there were no composite stocks. Have a Ruger tanger that shot better groups with the pressure point in it, but the group would relocate from week to week, depending on humidity. Even after floating it would shoot .5-.75 moa consistently. Good, just not as good.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.