Stock "painting question..

longrange7

As you might have seen in an earlier post I got a beat up savage rifle with a wood stock,I semi-refinished it,but was wondering if there was a "paint" that was durable and looked good too..

Are you talking about a clear protective coat to make it shine? Because i'm not sure how good a painted wood stock would turn out.

Its a wood stock!

Do not defile it with paint. Take your time, sand it down, wood fill the gouges and then stain and varithane it. AIf it needs some tlc, that's fine, it will look better after wards and you'll be proud of the work that you put into it.

Its a wood stock!

Do not defile it with paint. Take your time, sand it down, wood fill the gouges and then stain and varithane it. AIf it needs some tlc, that's fine, it will look better after wards and you'll be proud of the work that you put into it.
I know,but it's not good wood,and plus I know i'd just scratch it up..

A Buddy sent his Savage birch stock off to someone that put a camo finish on it, not sure if it was paint or some type of film? Cost was over $100 and it isnt holding up much better than the couple of dallars of Krylon I used??

10-12-08%20040.jpg

204%20Savage%20003.jpg

And definatly not as tuff as the stuff James Jones used on this laminate stock! Yep thats some kind of black paint that has held up for years under not so ideal conditions.

10-12-08%20056.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.