Stock Options Advice...

G

No, I don't work for ENRON or Martha Stewart, I'm just about to buy a new McMillan and I need some advice from those that have the hands on experience. I am restocking my .300 Tomahawk with a McMillan---It has a 30" Hart fluted barrel with a KDF brake and is built on a SS M700 action.
I have narrowed my list down to the Mc Hale or the A5 , and need some swaying. The rifle weighs 16.5# and wears a NXS 5.5-22x56 Mil-Dot in MAX-50 rings and sits on an RDP 30MOA base. It won't be carried much but will be shot from bags and a bipod on LR hunting trips. I like the A5 but I dont know if it will handle the LOOONG barrel...I know the McHale will...
Which stock will be better for my uses?
BTW, the color will be 50% Olive, 25% Black and 25% Lt. Gray Swirly...(not that it matters, just thought you'd like to know--if you have a better idea for an all SS rifle, let me know.)

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

A5 is the hottest thing going and it will handle it just as good as the McHale. Both are great stocks, I have both personally and have built dozens of rifles on both. Really comes down to personal preference.
I would probably give a slight edge to the A5, however. The wider fore-end will ride the bags a bit better.
Good color choice-bedded a 6.5-284 in an A5 in that exact colors two days ago, black teflon- really sharp rig.

I was one of the testers for Mike before he introduced the A5. If it was mine it would be the A5 all the way, no doubt. Simply- its awsome.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.