Stock Grip Shape: Old School or Modern

I prefer a vertical grip as well. To me, more comfortable, more natural, more consistent trigger pull, all meaning a more consistent and accurate shot. Which is what we all strive for.
I have never noticed a vertical grip being uncomfortable to carry while slung over a shoulder.
If you like the feel of a vertical grip, but a more traditional look, the Manners EH2 or EH3 might fit the bill a bit better for you.

I'm a vertical grip convert. They give me a comfortable, natural fit when carrying and aiming my hunting rifle. I also converted to Safari Slings, as they provide shoulder relief and ease-of-use. I've hunted with a McMillan Game Warden REM 700 for 5+ years with four quick, off-hand shots = four one-shot elk kills. IMO Great natural grip for acquire and fire.
In my 300 PRC build last Fall, I chose an AG Composite CF Visigoth stock. I like it! I provided my parts list to AG, and I assembled the rifle in 15 minutes with a perfect fit.
1611236085202.jpeg

Last edited:
JMO
If you're going to be sitting at a bench, prone, off a bag, etc, vertical grips are great.
Offhand, pull up to the shoulder, vertical grips are a hindrance.

If I could, all my stocks would be like the CZ550 Safari series. I just really like the shouldering and comb of those rifles

1611236376782.png

For what reasons...? If nothing else, they all look particularly difficult to shoulder sling carry and, just in my view, they are butt ugly. Not looking to be combative, just looking for and offering differing opinions...

Ergonomics. Straight wrist with straight booger finger pull to the rear.
Curved and your wrist is already bent, you have to compensate for that before you even mount the trigger.

I am old school and love the M40 stock. It has been a long time for me to convert. The hardest part for me is finding the forend I like with the vertical grip, so far the McMillan Game Scout/Warden has been the fit (I prefer a narrower forend for smaller hands). Not sure if Manner's EH1 has a similar forend as the EH2 or is is like the MCST style.

I like the Weatherby vanguard stocks. I like the monte carlo and the grip curve is nice. The distance from the grip to the trigger isn't as long as some other stocks. The correct LOP helps as well.
For quick shooting, I like the pistol grips. 30-30s are very uncomfortable for me since there is no grip. I've been playing around with some grip shapes and have found a slight angle on a vertical grip is a good compromise for prone and off hand. In the prone position, I like it more vertical. Vertical off hand isn't much to deal with but it is a different feel. Its something that one can get use to.

I have shot the McMillan Classics and M40 stocks for so many years I thought it would be hard to change. I have built and shot the McMillan Game Scout/Warden and I do like the vertical grip. It tends to lower my right arm elbow which seems much more natural. I consider the M40 style a compromise between the old school classic with its gradual sloping grip and the newer vertical grip stocks. I definitely find the vertical grips more comfortable from a prone position and I am starting to favor them from a elevated blind as well. I thing I am becoming a vertical convert. My last two rifles were vertical grips and love them. I still have numerous stocks in McMillan classic and M40 styles that I have carried for 30+ years and have no intention on replacing them. I migrated from the classics to the M40 because the grip was a little more vertical. I have made full circle now and I don't see myself going back. Vertical for me!

JMO
If you're going to be sitting at a bench, prone, off a bag, etc, vertical grips are great.
Offhand, pull up to the shoulder, vertical grips are a hindrance.

If I could, all my stocks would be like the CZ550 Safari series. I just really like the shouldering and comb of those rifles

View attachment 243929
CZ 550 actions are the tanks in the Mauser world! I have three built from those actions... .404 Jeff, 8mm Rem mag and 6.5-06, though I have a preference for the straight comb "American" style stock.

Apologies to the OP for going a little off the rails here...

I shot a vertical grip all summer and grew to love it from a firing line and bench. it took me a bit of re-programming to get my traditional grip trigger pull back to feeling "normal" for me, which was needed since my game guns are all traditional. That said it was much easier to shoot well with the vertical grip.

If I have to shoot in a hurry I prefer the straight or sloping grip for the same reason that almost all shotgun hunters use them. They come up fast and natural if your length of pull is cut to fit. If I am shooting off a rest of any kind and have lots of time the pistol grip gives me better trigger control. It depends on the terrain and type of hunting you prefer. If you have big hands it also helps to have the protruding grip cap to keep from slipping on the grip.

I find it interesting there are no favorable comments on a thumbhole stock configuration. I have several and find for bench or tripod shooting they give me good finger position and trigger control. Just my two cents worth.

I find it interesting there are no favorable comments on a thumbhole stock configuration. I have several and find for bench or tripod shooting they give me good finger position and trigger control. Just my two cents worth.
I have 2 thumbhole stocks and like them as well, but you address the trigger in a different position than sporter or vertical grips. I replaced the stock on my CA Mesa with an H-S Precision thumbhole and shrunk my 400 yard groups from 4" to 2.5". Alot had to do with the stock itself, but I do shoot the thumbhole with less effort.

Traditional grip naturally allow you to squeeze harder with ur pinkie and ring finger, leaving middle find loose so it doesn't interfere with ur index finger. On vertical grips you should observe this pressure yourself, but I find vertical grips more comfortable in all positions except standing.
what about halfway between the two, say an m40 stock design. Better at prone than a traditional stock, not as vertical as the m5 designed stocks

Traditional grip naturally allow you to squeeze harder with ur pinkie and ring finger, leaving middle find loose so it doesn't interfere with ur index finger. On vertical grips you should observe this pressure yourself, but I find vertical grips more comfortable in all positions except standing.
what about halfway between the two, say an m40 stock design. Better at prone than a traditional stock, not as vertical as the m5 designed stocks
I've decided to go with the vertical grip since these AG stocks seem to hold value tremendously well. I'll try it out this spring and summer, and if I don't like it, I'll sell it and try something else.

Do you use the grip on all of your guns? I want to buy the grip, but I'm not sure I need It...
If you go with AG composites go with the Alpine Hunter if you want classic the Cat is as classic as you can get you won't regret the Alpine but the vertical grip is butt ugly compared too the classic I will be ordering a Cat Ag and have two stocks for different applications AG stocks are great and great too deal with Veteran owned