Stock for Savage

Anschutz

I got a Savage 10 around Thanksgiving for $300 with the intention of building it into a long range rig. Nothing too crazy yet, just a .243 Win that can reach out and put a bullet where I want it. I usually hunt with a bow but there are places I can stretch a barrel. For the rifle, right now it has a sporter barrel and crappy synthetic stock. For the barrel I'm thinking of the Shilen 1-8 at 24-26" for Barrelman and I really like the Savage laminate stocks but finding one is proving to be tricky. Does anyone know where I can get the Savage Laminate Stock? I'm looking mainly at the one on the BVSS. Thanks.

Have you tried ordering directly from Savage?

Just as an aside, I shoot Savage rifles quite a bit and have had great luck with factory plastic stocks. They are flimsy but if you are careful about not applying too much forend pressure with a bipod they can work very well. Sometimes the barrel channel needs to be opened a bit to get good clearance.

I don't mind the stock that came on it but I am going to put a bull or varmint contour barrel on it and it is a sporter stock. Plus it's really ugly. If this was a beater I'd leave it on but I'd like it to look decent when done.
I have not tried ordering directly from Savage but if that is an option then I will probably end up doing that. Thanks.

Boyds Stockys or do a google search for aftermarket rifle stocks.

You can go to Savage shooters forum and check their classifieds. You may have to pay $20 membership to have access to the buy and sell. You will find some good advise there. You wont have to pay to just join the forum.

Boyds Stockys or do a google search for aftermarket rifle stocks.

You can go to Savage shooters forum and check their classifieds. You may have to pay $20 membership to have access to the buy and sell. You will find some good advise there. You wont have to pay to just join the forum.

It's only $15 per year.

They were giving away laminated stocks yesterday.:D

Boyds has them, and in a month you will be able to use a new website and ordering process to customize a stock through Boyds.

In addition, you can get factory style stocks at Numrich gun parts. Unfortunately their redesigned website is more difficult to search than the old one, but such is "progress."

I'd shoot it as-is first. You might be surprised how well that rifle may do without rebarreling.

Thanks, Dr. Vette, I forgot about Numrich's. Most of them are sold out but I've found a few. I would shoot it as is and I'm going to keep the stock and barrel around. I know it would be great but I'm going for more of a field rifle, I use a bow in the woods.

I put a CBI barrel on mine and a Stockade hunting sporter stock and I love my .243 now it really gets out there

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.