Stock Finish

xring01

I have used a Blended Product made by Sam Mooluf, who uses this on Rocking Chairs that on in most palaces through out the world.

But it is Labor intensive job...Take is product with 400grit Wet Sand Paper and wetsand the liquid into the work. It creats a paste that fills all the poors. It takes many many hours and many many coats, Then you go to 600 grit...

Nothing beats a hand rubbed finish. I am not sure if Laminite stock deserves such a finish...

I would just get a rag and Boiled Linseed Oil.

I'd second Chris' suggestion. I just finished a laminated stock on a Savage with TruOil, It came out far better than the original factory finish.
Chris

I'll third that. TruOil is your best bet. Haven't been disappointed with it yet.
wink.gif

Tru-Oil is a very good way to go. I've used it on several lam stocks. But, I have also used the "traditional" method on them as well. Old gunsmiths used to take stocks and boil them in linseed oil for about 3 days until the oil thorougly penetrates the wood. Then, using wet-or-dry 400 grit and mineral spirits, sand it VERY smooth. I then follow up with 20 or 30 coats of Birchwood-Casey clear (working from 600 - 1200 grit) until I am finished. This works VERY well if you have the time and patience to do it right. If you want ease of application and sure-fire results though, the Tru-Oil definitely will never let you down bro! Peace!

TH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.