Stock decision for a 300 Norma Mag

KenParker

Hello,

after 2 years I almost finish my hunting-long range shooting rifle in 300 Norma Mag:

so far I got a new REM 700 action, Lothar Walther Medium Palma barrel, MDM 5 port BEAST muzzle brake, timney calvin elite 2 stage trigger.

I have a question about a stock:

I'm about to order a Gunwerks Magnus Carbon Fiber stock, anyone has some thoughts, pros and cons?

My second choice will be a Manners.

I'm just a hunter person that would like to start shooting long range (600m) and use the same weapon for hunting (300-400m), I already know that will be an heave gun to carry but I got no problem.

Let me know your thought about the stock.

Thank you.

Matteo

I have a few Manners and well as McMillan's. No experience with the Gunwerks.

I have the MCST I just put on a new build. It is the second one I own and really wish I would have looked a little more. The bottom of the forend is square and a little large for my hands to be confortable. I also have the EH2, which is the same buttstock and grip with a smaller more rounded forend and accepts a smaller barrel profile, however I put a Christensen Target barrel in it, so it works. It leaves very little/thin on the edge of the barrel channel. If I ever build another with this hunting style stock, it will be with this EH2 (just ordered another barrel for my first REMAGE, we shall see).

Also have McMillan Game Scout and a Classic for the Ruger.

I prefer the Manners, as they have a little higher comb and that works for me. The Gunwerks is cool, but I would want to handle it before purchase.

Good luck.

I have Manners, McMillan, HS Precision, Stocky's and AG Composite stocks. I am pleased with everyone. I also have no experience with a Gunwerks Magnus. But at 2 lbs 11 oz, the Magnus is almost a pound heavier than the AG Composite. With custom stocks, providing ones rifle build specs is critical. My choices are subjective and based on my hands. If possible, try a stock out before buying a money-well-spent custom stock. Here is a link to AG for comparison https://www.agcomposites.com/stocks

Last edited:
Manners will take forever to deliver, they're backed up pretty badly. Ag composites alpine hunter is a great stock and lead times are quick. I've handled a few the gunwerks stocks and they're top notch, but should be for 1k $. I'm not a fan of the mcmillan stocks without adjustable cheeks as the combs all seem too low for me. Another option is JCS composites, I have a few their tactical stock and they weigh 30-32oz ans very closely resember a manners eh1.
Has anyone alerted you about lapua bolt face on the Remington 700 action? Not the most ideal situation but it's you're gun, your plan, I just don't want to see anything go wrong and a fella get hurt. The norma is a great case, however body dimensions were designed to function in automatic rifles, so there is a lot of case taper and low shoulder angle, this causes brass growth and needs constant trimming. Improving the case helps. My 30 nosler on a 26" barrel runs within 100-150fps of my 300 norma improved and would work quite well on your Remington action. Not trying to shoot down your idea or steer your away from it, but a lot of gunsmith will not put a lapua bolt face on a 700 bolt due to such a small amount of material left. There's a reason lapua based actions have a bolt diameter larger than the Rem 700.

Check out Allterra Arms. That is the new name for Axial precision. They can tune a stock for you from ~25oz on up. The biggest draw is they finally got a negative comb correct.

They just announced the name change, so it looks like they're still working on the transition on their site.

Google Axial Precision Carbon hunter stock and you'll find the one I'm suggesting.

Back from my first day of hunting, rainy day but I catch a red deer.

Thank you so much guys for you informations, especially HIGHDRUM, for save my project and probably my safety.

I'll go probably for a Kelbly Long Atlas .338 action (was my first option, but I had problem with export (I'm in Switzerland) now we found a US dealer that ship worldwide.

I already sell my REM 700 LA.

For the stock, I will probably follow your advice and save some money, go with an AG composite (Alpine Hunter seem a really good stock), they look great as well. (Manners seems to take forever to get one right?)

Hopefully for February I'll be able to shoot with my new rifle (right now I got a .325 wsm that shoot great).

Thank you again.

If you further info or suggestion, I'm open.

I have handled McMillan, B&C and Gunwerks in a very limited way.
I have handled several McMillan's at the NRA annual meetings, etc. I never have handled a McMillan that I didn't like. I have handled a B&C sporter for a Win 70. I have handled a Gunwerks at a gun store. With the Gunwerks, I thought the whole thing felt a bit small. like small in grip cross section, small in forearm cross section, but the comb felt pretty good.

To give you a point of reference, I really like the ergos of the current Winchester 70 Super Grade in about a 14" lop. Obviously, that would be custom as theirs is 13.75" lop. The B&C I bought was the Sporter with 14" lop. I haven't been able to shoot it yet. Looking at the aluminum bedding block, I was slightly disappointed, but I'm sure my gunsmith will make it what it ain't through a good bedding job. Can't wait to shoot it!

Hello,

after 2 years I almost finish my hunting-long range shooting rifle in 300 Norma Mag:

so far I got a new REM 700 action, Lothar Walther Medium Palma barrel, MDM 5 port BEAST muzzle brake, timney calvin elite 2 stage trigger.

I have a question about a stock:

I'm about to order a Gunwerks Magnus Carbon Fiber stock, anyone has some thoughts, pros and cons?

My second choice will be a Manners.

I'm just a hunter person that would like to start shooting long range (600m) and use the same weapon for hunting (300-400m), I already know that will be an heave gun to carry but I got no problem.

Let me know your thought about the stock.

Thank you.

Matteo
If you dont want hardwood, I highly recommend you take a close look at the McMillan Hunter stocks. They aint cheap but in my research, I understand why. If I was going to drop $600 ++ on a composite stock for one of my barreled actions, odds are it would be a McM Hunter

Any of the top tier stocks will work out great. Now, I did something different with the build I am expecting to arrive any day. I went with a XLR Magnesium chassis stock for the 300 NMI built by Ryan Pierce. Just wanting to try something different and able to fit more exactly.

Any of the top tier stocks will work out great. Now, I did something different with the build I am expecting to arrive any day. I went with a XLR Magnesium chassis stock for the 300 NMI built by Ryan Pierce. Just wanting to try something different and able to fit more exactly.
I've shot my Pierce built 300nmi in my magnesium chassis with folder. That lil recoil pad doesn't suck up much the recoil. I swapped Ryan's 5 port muscle to a mbmm 5 port beast and it made a noticeable difference. I was shooting 245s @ 2950 fps thou. Those things have some punch.

Heres my magnus stock on an SR3.(rifle going to be for sell shortly).

The stock feels pretty good. The grip is definately slimmer than a mcmillan or manners. The build quality is top notch. Its def not the lightest stock tho. Been talking to allterra. Going to give their stock a try next. It was between that and the iota eko

Attachments

• 20200201_142349.jpg
    20200201_142349.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 305
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.