Stiller action or....

CNY Yote Hunter

I haven't been able to build a rifle in years and happy to say that's about to change! I am looking for input on favorite actions for a nice hunting rig. Going to be a 6mm of some variation. I am looking at Stiller Tac 30 as an option but I have never used them before. Anyone have the good, bad and ugly pertaining to this action? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Well good luck with your build! The stiller tac 30's are good actions but for the money I feel there are much better ones. They aren't up to modern actions like some listed below. It depends on your price point but can break it down a bit for you.

more budget actions;

- zermatt/bighorn origins (mechanical ejector, controlled round feed, loads of prefits available, swappable bolt heads for caliber family changes). Super smooth actions.
- kelbly atlas tactical action. (Mechanical ejector, incredibly smooth, trigger hanger, wicked customer service, prefit availability)
- defiance tenacity (strong defiance name, rock solid, prefit available, a few options in cuts)

higher end actions;

- bighorn tl3. All the same features
- defiance deviant/ruckus or anti/anti-x. Depending on weight for the build you can choose the deviant/ruckus for a target/tactical build or the anti series for a hunting build
- impact737r/787r has unlimited prefits, incredibly popular, number 1 in prs.
-terminus actions. There entire line up is just good. 60 degree bolt throw though which is faster but heavier lift. Unbelievable service, incredibly smooth, almost feel like they close themselves.

there's a bunch more out there but that's a good start. Figure out your budget and go from there.

Last edited:
Well good luck with your build! The stiller tac 30's are good actions but for the money I feel there are much better ones. They aren't up to modern actions like some listed below. It depends on your price point but can break it down a bit for you.

more budget actions;

- zermatt/bighorn origins (mechanical ejector, controlled round feed, loads of prefits available, swappable bolt heads for caliber family changes). Super smooth actions.
- kelbly atlas tactical action. (Mechanical ejector, incredibly smooth, trigger hanger, wicked customer service, prefit availability)
- defiance tenacity (strong defiance name, rock solid, prefit available, a few options in cuts)

higher end actions;

- bighorn tl3. All the same features
- defiance deviant/ruckus or anti/anti-x. Depending on weight for the build you can choose the deviant/ruckus for a target/tactical build or the anti series for a hunting build
- impact737r/787r has unlimited prefits, incredibly popular, number 1 in prs.
-terminus actions. There entire line up is just good. 60 degree bolt throw though which is faster but heavier lift. Unbelievable service, incredibly smooth, almost feel like they close themselves.

there's a bunch more out there but that's a good start. Figure out your budget and go from there.

Don't forget BAT. They might be the best of all! They have a couple lightweights now too. Smooth as silk and close like a bank vault?

Don't forget BAT. They might be the best of all! They have a couple lightweights now too. Smooth as silk and close like a bank vault?

haha I don't know why but for some reason it skips my mind. Beautiful actions!!! Haven't handled there newer ones or the tr for that matter but had a chance to run a vr and hr a few times and they almost cycle them self just looking at them!'

I have a vanguard, Stiller tac, shilen dgr, defiance deviant and all are great actions to build on. Least slop to most being defiance, shilen, vanguard, Stiller. I love all of them and dry fire each about 50 times a week and feel them clean and oiled.

If you're familiar with the Stiller and like them then go for it! They are rock solid and mines pretty **** smooth! But if you want some more flash then one of the above mentioned will do great! Just find something with the features YOU want and need. Too many options out there to be getting something that's not perfect for you.

I am a Left Handed shooter and have a couple BAT model M as benchrest rifles, they are fabulous and last probably forever, I am on my 5th barrel on the Light Rifle in 6.5x284, action still smooth as silk. These are big actions and can be ordered in Left Hand, but as you know these bis BATs cost north of fifteen hundred and require custom stocks.

I also have a Stiller TAC30 built up as a 6x45 heavy barrel, and a Stiller Predator long action single shot (also LH) in 280 Ackley that shoots very consistient groups at 500 yards much to the amazement of the "short and fat cartridge is always best" folks. Who else offers long and short action in LH plus repeater or solid bottom single shots for $990? The Stillers are Rem 700 pattern, so plenty of stocks / chassis options.

I have a Shilen DGR action, made by Stiller, and have no complaints. Like others have said, I feel like these are pretty basic actions that lack some of the innovative features compared to some of the newer stuff out there. Features that come to mind are guaranteed headspace with off the shelf shouldered prefits, lower bolt lift angles, controlled round feed, nicer coatings like dlc, interchangeable bolt heads, better extractor/ejector designs, integral recoil lugs/rails, innovative cocking piece designs, lightweight options and many others. No one action will have it all and you have to decide which features are most important for your use. That being said the Stillers are still very well made and will get the job done. They certainly beat the heck out of any factory action, although Tikkas get pretty close.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.