Still need the perfect long range elk gun

Used GAP, oor se what GAP has in "rifles ready to ship" on their site. If you fid someone to build a custom in your time frame, 6.5x284 for the win. light recoil, good range. I love it.

Boom! Just got off the phone with John at Mesa Precision. He has a build that was canceled by another customer that will be perfect for me and at a very fair price. It should be shipped Friday! Pictures of the test groups show .3 moa 3 shots with factory ABM 185's and less than that with their load devolpment with the 215 hybrids! They're just changing out the customers spiral break for a side port and that's it!

What an awesome company to deal with. I sent an email with a few questions on Saturday of Memorial weekend and received a reply same day! Can't beat that kind of service.
He even said it'll be shipped in a case with insurance but if anything happens to it they'll take care of it and make sure I end up with what I expected.

Those 215s are deadly on elk. Would highly recommend you work with those and some h1000. My load is 77.9 grains, nosler brass, 215 feds, seated .008 off.

Those 215s are deadly on elk. Would highly recommend you work with those and some h1000. My load is 77.9 grains, nosler brass, 215 feds, seated .008 off.
Yep, those 215 gr pills over H1000 gracefully cradled by some nosler brass are what this gun will be fed. Only difference is I'll most likely be starting them off with the Fed 210m primers as the appetizer
We will see what she prefers.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Now I have to make my indecisive mind up on a scope.
Zeiss V6?
Huskemaw?
Or the ATACR!

I've found a few rifles in classifieds that are what I'm looking for but are in 300 rum or Norma mag. Very sweet setups but at this point I'm trying to keep things simple and stay with the 300 wm. I'll have to spin off the break for group I go to Idaho with for the type of hunting we do there.

Now for the good news!
Just got off the phone with John from Mesa Precision Arms in CO after the recommendations on here. He has a rifle that was ordered by a customer and canceled. He has to put it together and confirm it's a shooter before he will agree to sell it but as long as it does I'm in. What a guy! Great to deal with.

It's a 300 wm
blueprinted 700 action
Jewel trigger
Barteline 3b 26" fluted 1-10 so I can still shoot these **** copper bullets in CA, (not crazy about flutes but if it shoots it shoots)
Wyatt's mbe2 box
I can't remember which stock for the life of me but it's a carbon adjustable I was excited about when he said it.
With that adjustable stock it's coming in at 8 lbs.
I'm excited!
My custom 375 Ruger Model 70 has no brake and It's become my favorite gun to shoot out of the whole lot. Mind you I'm not overly recoil sensitive but I get no charge out of trying to prove how manly I am by shooting cannons. It is a much different recoil than my big magnums, more o a push than being hit with a hammer.

The lighter you go with such a rig the more the recoil is going to pound you. There are several good recoil calculators online so you might want to run some numbers through them to get an idea of what you are looking.

Yep, those 215 gr pills over H1000 gracefully cradled by some nosler brass are what this gun will be fed. Only difference is I'll most likely be starting them off with the Fed 210m primers as the appetizer
We will see what she prefers.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Now I have to make my indecisive mind up on a scope.
Zeiss V6?
Huskemaw?
Or the ATACR!
Zeiss V6

Since we're talking .30 calibers in here...

Went and shot my .300 Ackley yesterday to sight it in with the HS-T 6-24x50 MRAD, and for some load development with the Berger 210's and 7977... So far, at 83.0 grains It's averaging 2,942 FPS MV, and an ES of 14, and an SD of 7 (according to my MSv2). This load is also putting 3 in the same ragged hole.

I have heard the 215's are actually faster than the 210's because of the shorter bearing surface, so I might get some more of those and try them. I've never compared the 2 side-by-side with the same load and powder charges.

If I ever go elk hunting, I know what I'll be taking. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.