Still need the perfect long range elk gun

I have a CA Ridgline 6.5 Creedmoor and it's the most accurate rifle I own. 2 1/2" groups at 430 yards if I don't screw it up, some guys on here could probably do better I bet. Not steering you away from mesa precision because I want one as well just wanted to give you a positive response on a Christensen Rifle
Thank you. I have heard great things about them also. They had my attention as the most probable direction I'd go until I found Mesa. All that means is I'm going to have to get another boom stick to see what the hype is about. Those Fury's don't look half bad either. The carbon barrel has my knees weak with curiosity. So many options, I need a few more jobs.

Stopped by the sportsman's warehouse since I was in the area and was surprised to see them carrying at least 20 Christensen arms guns, and a bout 7 fierce fury's. Handled the CA Ridgeline, Mesa, MPR and Fury all side by side. They didn't have any fierce rifles with carbon fiber barrels to compare quality to CA but after that comparison I think I'll be in the market for the CA MPR. What a fine machine! Ready to go out of the box. Great trigger too!

I have 2 moa rifles and both shoot lights out,,,been to a mile with both. They come with load development, barrel break in complete. pricey but worth it

Is there really a "Perfect" rifle?.. Is there a perfect anything?
Some really nice choices But everything in one?

No, but plenty of choices to choose from, it boils down to personal preference. Most of us elk hunters will pick the rifle/chambering combination that best work for our personal type of elk hunting. The .300 WM remains as my go to chambering for elk.

Well, building my second savage 300 win mag took a detour and ended up heavier than I originally planned. Mcrees G10 chassis still was not available so I went with the G7 (5lbs instead of 3.5), called Northland Shooter Supply for another barel and I guess the APA micro bastard brake requires thicker barrel than I thought. Shilen wouldn't thread a heavy mag contour for it and instead of going to the varmit I settled on a criterion light Varmit to make it work. I really wanted a break that was easy to take off and put on so I could spin it off for hunting with a little rezeroing but leave it on for everything else. (I can shoot out to 750 yds at home)
Since I already blew my weight limit, I tossed on a gen 2 vortex razor hd 5.5x27 which is an anchor itself so this gun became my practice shooter.

I thought I was going to have my new hunting build ready for this season but it's creeping up faster than I realized! The Seekins Havak ph1 is tempting me more than anything else out there under $2500 or more minus the spiral fluting, but they are backordered 4 months out.

What would you do if you had up to around $3k to throw at a gun not including optics? I know it can be done in a custom setup easily. What would you build? Are there any semi custom production setups you'd consider? Going with a custom action is what I was thinking but I'd like to have some time before it's done to do load development and plenty of practice on this particular setup before mid October and I'm skeptical I could get a smith to finish with enough time for me to get comfortable with it.

Here's what I'm looking for:

24-26" barrel plus muzzle break, (directional not radial)
Prefer DBM but not a must
No single feeding rounds (at least blind or internal mag allowing min of 3.6" oal for those 215's.
Folding butstock a plus but also not necessary.
An honest and repeatable 1/2 moa or better with proper barrel cool down.
Minimal POI shift with major temperature swings.
I might have to feed this monolithic copper bullets also if I end up using it to hunt here in CA where I live

This will be used for mule deer between 50-1400 yds and elk up to the same distance but most commonly 350-800 yards.
I hike up about 3,000' above camp daily so I'd prefer to stay somewhere around 9-12 Lb range scoped with bipod (6-9 Lb rifle only)

I know there are a million ways to get there but am curious how others would do it before I pull the trigger.
It's a long shot. But here goes .
I have a ruger m77 Mark 2 300 win mag .
Custom built. Hart barrel 26 inch muzzle brake . Fluted stainless .
Black stock . Valdada 9x36x56 im8 scope . Already suited up with loads for what you need . Have shot accurate to 600 yards with the hornady bullets . Have not had time to shoot past it but one time and that was at 700 yards and bullets kept close together but wind drifted the accuracy . And planned to go back . Did not make it back

Attachments

• 20180528_094402.jpg
    20180528_094402.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
Well, building my second savage 300 win mag took a detour and ended up heavier than I originally planned. Mcrees G10 chassis still was not available so I went with the G7 (5lbs instead of 3.5), called Northland Shooter Supply for another barel and I guess the APA micro bastard brake requires thicker barrel than I thought. Shilen wouldn't thread a heavy mag contour for it and instead of going to the varmit I settled on a criterion light Varmit to make it work. I really wanted a break that was easy to take off and put on so I could spin it off for hunting with a little rezeroing but leave it on for everything else. (I can shoot out to 750 yds at home)
Since I already blew my weight limit, I tossed on a gen 2 vortex razor hd 5.5x27 which is an anchor itself so this gun became my practice shooter.

I thought I was going to have my new hunting build ready for this season but it's creeping up faster than I realized! The Seekins Havak ph1 is tempting me more than anything else out there under $2500 or more minus the spiral fluting, but they are backordered 4 months out.

What would you do if you had up to around $3k to throw at a gun not including optics? I know it can be done in a custom setup easily. What would you build? Are there any semi custom production setups you'd consider? Going with a custom action is what I was thinking but I'd like to have some time before it's done to do load development and plenty of practice on this particular setup before mid October and I'm skeptical I could get a smith to finish with enough time for me to get comfortable with it.

No single feeding rounds (at least blind or internal mag allowing min of 3.6" oal for those 215's.
I might have to feed this monolithic copper bullets also if I end up using it to hunt here in CA where I live

This will be used for mule deer between 50-1400 yds and elk up to the same distance but most commonly 350-800 yards.
I hike up about 3,000' above camp daily so I'd prefer to stay somewhere around 9-12 Lb range scoped with bipod (6-9 Lb rifle only)

I know there are a million ways to get there but am curious how others would do it before I pull the trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.