Still need the perfect long range elk gun

Boardmstr

Well, building my second savage 300 win mag took a detour and ended up heavier than I originally planned. Mcrees G10 chassis still was not available so I went with the G7 (5lbs instead of 3.5), called Northland Shooter Supply for another barel and I guess the APA micro bastard brake requires thicker barrel than I thought. Shilen wouldn't thread a heavy mag contour for it and instead of going to the varmit I settled on a criterion light Varmit to make it work. I really wanted a break that was easy to take off and put on so I could spin it off for hunting with a little rezeroing but leave it on for everything else. (I can shoot out to 750 yds at home)
Since I already blew my weight limit, I tossed on a gen 2 vortex razor hd 5.5x27 which is an anchor itself so this gun became my practice shooter.

I thought I was going to have my new hunting build ready for this season but it's creeping up faster than I realized! The Seekins Havak ph1 is tempting me more than anything else out there under $2500 or more minus the spiral fluting, but they are backordered 4 months out.

What would you do if you had up to around $3k to throw at a gun not including optics? I know it can be done in a custom setup easily. What would you build? Are there any semi custom production setups you'd consider? Going with a custom action is what I was thinking but I'd like to have some time before it's done to do load development and plenty of practice on this particular setup before mid October and I'm skeptical I could get a smith to finish with enough time for me to get comfortable with it.

Here's what I'm looking for:

24-26" barrel plus muzzle break, (directional not radial)
Prefer DBM but not a must
No single feeding rounds (at least blind or internal mag allowing min of 3.6" oal for those 215's.
Folding butstock a plus but also not necessary.
An honest and repeatable 1/2 moa or better with proper barrel cool down.
Minimal POI shift with major temperature swings.
I might have to feed this monolithic copper bullets also if I end up using it to hunt here in CA where I live

This will be used for mule deer between 50-1400 yds and elk up to the same distance but most commonly 350-800 yards.
I hike up about 3,000' above camp daily so I'd prefer to stay somewhere around 9-12 Lb range scoped with bipod (6-9 Lb rifle only)

I know there are a million ways to get there but am curious how others would do it before I pull the trigger.

Check out mesa precision arms. Last time I talked to John he said he was only 6-8 weeks out. They offer two different semi customs and will develope loads and drops to 1000 yards if you want. I was wanting to get the Crux from them but may get the ascent instead

Your muzzle brake issue could have been cured with an area 419 muzzle brake. It has adapters for multiple thread pitches. I have the APA and like it but its not all that versatile, So I just ordered an area 419.

When is your hunting season? Your timetable may require a production gun.
I think I would build off a custom action myself. I would likely do a Bighorn SR3, this action would allow you to use your savage barrels. It will also give you the Wyatts cut option that will extend your COAL to 3.825. You don't have to add the Wyatts box but I would. Then I would do a Proof Research barrel, an EH-1 Adjustable and likely PTG oberndorf bottom metal. Tally lightweight 20 MOA rings and throw a scope on it. I wont suggest a cartridge as I don't own any 30 cal rifles and likely wont. I may have gone over your budget but not by that much.

I would do a custom action of your choice, carbon barrel (Proof or Hardy) with a gilled titanium break in any of the big 7's or 300's. Use a wyatts 4 inch mag and bdl style bottom metal with your choice of trigger.

Adding to that I'd run a vx6 4-24 in Talley rings. They now make 20 moa rings. That combo is about as light as you can go to do the work you're looking to do. You could save some weight with less scope but imo the vx6 is a great compromise between very light and the really heavy target style scopes which have become very popular.

I myself have a hankering for a 300 Norma running something in the 215-230 range.

If you have the components it could be done in time. I could likely get my Smith to do it but they're going to name their new building after me so that's another story...

I have a 7 lb 28 Nosler with 31 rounds down the barrel for sale. Proof carbon and CF stock on a Defiance clone. I could ship it Monday. 180 Bergers at around 3200fps. About 947 foot pounds of energy at 1400 yards... just throwing that out there

Thanks Sykes, mesa looks like it could be a good route to go with the timeframe I have to work with.

Tidus56 hunting starts in October for me. I'll give a 419 a try. I've read a bit about the bighorns and hear good things about them but haven't ever had one in my hands. I'm not questioning the quality, as it seems pretty unanimous they do well in that area. I just need to do more research on the barrel nut system vs the standard way before I feel comfortable dropping that kind of money on one. They work for plenty of people including myself but I just don't know enough to make an informed decision yet.
I'm planning on sticking with the 300 wm just because I'm already so established with a ton of Norma brass and have a few other rifles in the same caliber. With the way my collection is going I need to add a new caliber like I need more weeds in my lawn.

That being said I'm also my own worst enemy. JJmoody, I'll have to get in contact with you about that as a possibility. Haha

Slick8, thank you for the recommendations. The glass is a whole new can of worms to open up too. I must have a bit of a feminine side to me because I can't make up my dang mind about anything these days.

I've also thought about just jumping around a few extra lbs with what I have already for the season and give me more time to end up with exactly what I want instead of take up space with one more that came close.

Thanks Sykes, mesa looks like it could be a good route to go with the timeframe I have to work with.

Tidus56 hunting starts in October for me. I'll give a 419 a try. I've read a bit about the bighorns and hear good things about them but haven't ever had one in my hands. I'm not questioning the quality, as it seems pretty unanimous they do well in that area. I just need to do more research on the barrel nut system vs the standard way before I feel comfortable dropping that kind of money on one. They work for plenty of people including myself but I just don't know enough to make an informed decision yet.
I'm planning on sticking with the 300 wm just because I'm already so established with a ton of Norma brass and have a few other rifles in the same caliber. With the way my collection is going I need to add a new caliber like I need more weeds in my lawn.

That being said I'm also my own worst enemy. JJmoody, I'll have to get in contact with you about that as a possibility. Haha

Slick8, thank you for the recommendations. The glass is a whole new can of worms to open up too. I must have a bit of a feminine side to me because I can't make up my dang mind about anything these days.

I've also thought about just jumping around a few extra lbs with what I have already for the season and give me more time to end up with exactly what I want instead of take up space with one more that came close.

I have a 28 Nosler barrel I put on my savage 116. Its a nice cartridge and you wont regret it if you go with JJMoody. I can help you do the barrel nut setup using a savage or a Bighorn just PM me its simple. Good luck

Those mesa's are sweet! I'll call tomorrow and talk to John. I'm trying to find that gap in the classifieds now.

Yeah, I have a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 Win mag and it probably was the perfect elk rifle - for me that is.

But it would be "more perfect" it it were a SAKO 85 Finnlight II in that cartridge with a carbon fiber wrapped Proof Research barrel. A boy can dream...
But hey, even with the stainless SAKO barrel it's **** near perfect. With a god scope, say a Vortex AMG, it should fop out at no more than 8 lbs.
But of course that rifle and scope would put you over the $4,000. mark and yer wife would have a fit. Jus' saying'...

Eric B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.