Still considering a Leupold?

I just took a look and I don't see any evidence that the sky is falling but - Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. The jury is still out on this and I'm not ready to write off a quality scope manufacturer like Leupold based on this sketchy information.

Well instead of speculating I went straight to the source and have sent a message asking if this true will post the reply.

I spoke with Leupold's Sales and Tech support this morning, Tech support said that the MK 4 scopes would not limited to only LE and MIL and would be available to US Citizens/general public after January 2017, and that all warranties would be honored...... so we shall see....

Hi.
What are the causes this decision, you are refined?

I spoke with Leupold's Sales and Tech support this morning, Tech support said that the MK 4 scopes would not limited to only LE and MIL and would be available to US Citizens/general public after January 2017, and that all warranties would be honored...... so we shall see....

My understanding is that they're simply fazing out the Mk4 line in favor of a (long over due!) upgrade to the model. They'll continue to sell to Mil/LEO because they're under contract for a certain length of time. As the contracts expire they just won't renew the contract for the Mk4 and move over to the new product line.

I don't see the issue with this. I have 3 Mk 4 scopes and they're all nice, but they really can't keep up with a lot of the newer optics at the same price point. It's the same thing that just happened with the VX-3 line. The VX-3 is a great scope but it just couldn't keep up with some of the newer products out there at the same price point. That's why Leupold brought out the VX-3i line.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.