Sticky/stuck Bolt Troubleshooting

Read this thread:

The PRC die "problem" | Long Range Hunting Forum

This is an issue with a number of the thicker webbed cartridges. I have experienced it with the WSMs, RUMs, RCMs. The difference between the chamber dimension and sizer die's dimensions are not enough to allow for proper fit of fired brass. Solutions are discussed within that thread. Simplest solution is to sand the chamber larger.

Read this thread:

The PRC die "problem" | Long Range Hunting Forum

This is an issue with a number of the thicker webbed cartridges. I have experienced it with the WSMs, RUMs, RCMs. The difference between the chamber dimension and sizer die's dimensions are not enough to allow for proper fit of fired brass. Solutions are discussed within that thread. Simplest solution is to sand the chamber larger.
On it. Found it last night and see the similarities. Appreciate it!

Quick question for the factory rounds that were fired that are coming out .01" larger at the .2" location, I was under the impression that is a sign of high pressure. Is the possible that the chamber is causing this?

Yes read Alex's thread on the PRC dies it explains very well. If your brass is truly coming out at .560 its not a bad thing in your case you even though its a little big.
Are you sizing up .200 from the very bottom of the case? Thats were you need to take your measurements.
.560 sounds enormous at the .200 line.

.560 sounds enormous at the .200 line.

This^^^^

If that number is correct, you got a fat chamber and even fatter sizing die....don't expect the primer pockets to last long either.

Hopefully this is just measuring error? Being .010 over new brass at the .200 line is extremely excessive IMO.

This^^^^

If that number is correct, you got a fat chamber and even fatter sizing die....don't expect the primer pockets to last long either.

Hopefully this is just measuring error? Being .010 over new brass at the .200 line is extremely excessive IMO.
Thanks gents. I'll spend some time double checking the measurements in the coming days and post what I find again.

I reviewed a few of the past threads on this and am not sure I've found my exact solution yet.

Curious to the groups thoughts on my issue. Facts below:

-built a new CF 7 WSM off a savage SA. Have roughly 100 rounds down it. Half factory loads. Half virgin brass (non sized before loading) hand loads. And about a dozen sized second firing loads (where problem is).

-factory loads shot great a little bit of a sticky bolt on some but nothing that worried me.

-the virgin brass (Hornady) pressure work ups to alliants max pressure for RL26 (71.2 published) I got to 69.2gr before I saw a light ejector swipe and slightly heavier bolt lift. I backed off to 68.8 and shot 20 rounds all great no issues no pressure signs.

-I bought Forster FL Die set and used a RCBS shell holder. I cut all once fired brass to 2.095" (max is 2.10" trim is 2.09").

-I noticed on FL sizing the unloaded cases wouldn't chamber smoothly when the die was fully seated against the shellholder (per instructions). Research showed likely a mismatch issue with RCBS vs Forster (they only use universal holders with theirs press from what I can tell).

-I shaved .002" off the top of shellholder allowing the clearance to fully size the back of the case and it chambered perfect.

- I prepped mouths. Loaded from 68.3 to 68.8 to double check pressure with the sized brass.

- Started at 68.3 at the range. Roughly same velocity as with virgin brass (20fps more but 80 rnds through). BUT very heavy bolt lift (almost needing mallet).

-switched to factory load. No issue. Switched to original 68.8 virgin brass. No issue. Then back to 2nd shot handloads. Heavy again.

-Came home rechecked headspace using go/no go. Good.

-checked shoulder using comparator and the Hornady modified case(for COAL measurements) measured 3.972", once fired measured 3.971-.973", twice fired same, and FL resized measured 3.965".

-measured OAL of fired brass and it was roughly 2.105" (.01" growth from sizing/cutting).

So initial thought was a pressure issue. But would be a bit weird using less powder than original load and getting similar velocities, but haven't ruled it out.

Other thought is something with my Die setup. I find it a bit weird it is sizing the shoulder back .07" (never measured on any other round so not sure that's normal for FL die). Also find is a bit strange to see .01" case growth with one firing. Maybe related?

Thinking the next step is to load down to maybe 67 and work up from there BUT like many, pretty low on my CCI250 primers and hate to blindly troubleshoot and waste some not knowing when more will be had.

Appreciate the teams thoughts.
Try coloring a case with a black sharpie, chamber it and see where your problem lies. Do the same thing with your die. I have a 22-250 die that I had to grind down a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.