Sticky Cartridge Help

Hey there,

Definetly find some one with a bore scope to check out the chamber....

Had a similar situation with a my cousin's new tikka t3 in 300wsm just the other week, first shot out of it and the brass stuck in the chamber, tapped it out and took a look for excessive pressure signs and everything looked fine, however it had some shiny marks around the case head much like your picture... measured the outer dimensions on the case thinking maybe it was a wonky chamber but all was good... fired another round over the magnettospeed, speed was what we expected but had a stuck case...
Looked with my borescope and found the chamber had a whole bunch of scratches in it, so bad that you'd wonder how it would pass quality control.... looked like the Finn running the reamer was a little cheap with the cutting fluid and got some chips floating around in there chowdering things up..it was obviously bad enough that it wouldn't let go of the brass....
Anyways nothing a power drill, some 600 grit sand paper, a broken graphite arrow shaft, lapping compound, flitz polish paste and 45 minutes couldn't fix... polished the crap outta the chamber and now it cycle like a champ... if that's not something you are comfortable with send it back

Let us know what you figure out...

Orch
Here is a quick update. I ended up taking the gun to my gun smith for a lookover. He first checked the chamber with the go, no go gages and everything was fine. He looked over all my brass and listened to my issues and felt the best course of action was to do just what you suggested, polish the camber. I just picked it back up and will be taking out to the range tomorrow to see how it goes. He did put a couple rounds through it without any problems, so I am hoping to have the same results. I will keep you posed on the results.

First I want to thank all those who chimed in with suggestions, I really apprecite it. Although today I was only able to get 13 rounds down range before it started raining, I am pretty confident that the chamber polishing performed by a drill with a nylon brush and rubbing compound did the job. There was a noticeable difference in the ease in which the cartridges ejected. I will not get back to the range for a couple weeks, but uf there are any changes I will let you know.

Cheers!

Here is a quick update. I ended up taking the gun to my gun smith for a lookover. He first checked the chamber with the go, no go gages and everything was fine. He looked over all my brass and listened to my issues and felt the best course of action was to do just what you suggested, polish the camber. I just picked it back up and will be taking out to the range tomorrow to see how it goes. He did put a couple rounds through it without any problems, so I am hoping to have the same results. I will keep you posed on the results.

I hope that fixes it and without voiding the warranty.

Good luck!

I am happy to report that the sticky cartridge issue has been resolved. Orch, you nailed it, polishing the chamber took care of it.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Most Sincerely,
SimpleMind949

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts