Sticky bolt after cerakoting

Kyle87

Hey guys I just got my rifle back from being cerakoted and it seems that the actions cycles a lot harder than it did when I took it in. The sprayed the bolt and the inside of the action (not up towards the chamber). I'm just wondering if it will loosen up over time or not I'm alittle worried about it thanks

Kyle87,

What color?

The lighter colors are a tad thicker than the darker colors. However, Cerakote has a measurable thickness even on just one surface let alone two that are in contact. That's why most coaters stopped coating bolts and the interior of the action, too much binding.

It will wear down after lots of cycles but you can blast it off and then simply parkerize the bolt and keep it oiled.

Another finish is Micro-Slick for the bolt.

Regards.

Black I have noticed tonight that after working the bolt a considerable amount that it is starting to loosen up I think it will be ok

You can work it or use a light scotch brite type pad on it and help it,also a small amount of lube helps.I use to just spray a little silicon lube on mine or small lithium grease on my fingers and just rub very small fill on lugs,mine wore in fine.

lube it and work the action a few dozen times then clean it out and re lube. should be fine. Most people that cerakote interior keep the thickness to a minimum. or should have. I cerakote all of mine except throat and interior barrel without issue.

I lined it up and left it pretty wet over night hoping in would kind of soak in. It seems this morning that is did help a lot

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.