Sticking cocking piece on sear?

Every M700 with the new trigger that I've seen does the same thing. I think that it is an idiosyncrasy of the new trigger. It might just be designed that way to insure full engagement of the sear to the bolt.

Why are you trying to recock it in the first place is it bad primers, if you fire a round pull the bolt back then fire the next round the weapon is working properly don't get it?

Hi all,
Have an issue on a new Rem 700 Sendero II in 300WM RR serial #.
After firing, if you lift the bolt and do not withdraw it and attempt to re-cock the firing pin, it just falls and when you open the bolt again to withdraw the bolt there is a hesitation and the cocking piece is held until an audible click is heard and the bolt withdraws easy peasy. If you pass this click and go forward again, the bolt cocks normally.
Now, I have dismantled the firing pin assembly from this bolt and swapped them from other bolts I have, none but this one do it no matter what bolt or rifle it's put into.
Is it simply the ramp on the cocking piece is too high/proud and is getting stuck in the sear?
I have not come across this before.
I was thinking of stoning, but that may take a long time to remove.

Anyone have an insight on this?

Cheers.
TIA.
Just My Thoughts:

I would suggest that in all honesty, you should find a competent gunsmith locally.

Please Read On :
After speaking with him personally making certain that he is familiar with the Remington 700 action and then explaining your issues ask him if he is cognizant of said issues and that he knows what may be the cause and how to repair the problem.

If he answers "Yes," well then ask he can supply you with the names and phone numbers of references who have used his service in the past
If he is reluctant to release the names of clients then politely ask if you can give him your name & phone number and ask for a call back from them.

If he again refuses, well then thank him for his time and continue your search by finding another gunsmith and personally confirm clients who have used his services in the past and deemed him competent.

If you are satisfied with the results then and only then n would I proceed.

Best of Luck in your endeavor!

Last edited:
Why are you trying to recock it in the first place is it bad primers, if you fire a round pull the bolt back then fire the next round the weapon is working properly don't get it?
Cocking by lift only is nice when dry firing as to minimize setup disturbance. When used to this anything else does just not seem right.

It's supposed to work so that lifting the bolt and closing it without withdrawing the bolt re-cocks the firing pin.
On closer inspection, after dismantling further, it is also the sear engagement causing the issue, which is unadjustable on these X Mark Crapster triggers.
I have never dealt with these triggers in the past.
All of my rifles have the Walker trigger, easy to adjust for creep and sear engagement.
I can't even remove the epoxy on the sear engagement screw on these.
Other than Timney, they will not ship internationally anymore, who can suggest a good adjustable trigger as a replacement?
I have Jewels on my comp guns, but these are unobtainium here too.
Suggestions?

Cheers.

It's supposed to work so that lifting the bolt and closing it without withdrawing the bolt re-cocks the firing pin.
On closer inspection, after dismantling further, it is also the sear engagement causing the issue, which is unadjustable on these X Mark Crapster triggers.
I have never dealt with these triggers in the past.
All of my rifles have the Walker trigger, easy to adjust for creep and sear engagement.
I can't even remove the epoxy on the sear engagement screw on these.
Other than Timney, they will not ship internationally anymore, who can suggest a good adjustable trigger as a replacement?
I have Jewels on my comp guns, but these are unobtainium here too.
Suggestions?

Cheers.

Trigger tech diamond, bix n Andy tacsport, elftmann tactical or try to find an unobtanium jewell hvr. Triggertech diamond would probably be my choice. Or triggertech special is more affordable

Thanks will look into it, trigger prices here are ridiculous, $500+ is the START POINT.
Already spent upwards of $3500 on each rifle, 3 in total.

Cheers.
P.S.
My 5R that fell into my lap for a song, has zero issues with the trigger, it adjusted down to 2.5lbs quite easily, it is a custom shop item that someone here ordered, paid a deposit and never picked it up in more than a year. I got it at cost less the 20% deposit.

*****UPDATE******
Ok all,
I have pulled apart several bolts now, the rest measure like this.
Bolt shroud length on all is 1.060"
On the bolts without an issue, the length of the cocking pin is .389/90" to the sear bottom.
From front face of shroud to cocking pin is .087".
Now the Sendero with the issue measures like this; cocking pin is .369".
Front face of shroud to cocking pin is .098".
I have bought Jewels to replace the X Mark Crap, but the issue remains.
Do I need to find a new cocking piece?
Does anyone know where I get one??

TIA

Cheers.

Have you taken this rifle out of its stock and measured the trigger pin placement against another rifle receiver?
Since the receiver is the base all other parts of a firearm are attached to. I would start with the receiver measuring and comparing bolt slot, trigger sear exposure, trigger pin holes with another 700 action. Make sure the receiver is correct then go to the trigger and sear exposure,. Then the bolt.
The bolt may be within Specs, And something else off just enough they will not mate up and work proper.

Without pictures or the gun in hand, It is hard to pin point such a problem.

There are many things happening at the same time. The cp has to come back far enough to allow the trigger to reset. Short extraction cam can be an issue. Also an action set up with a lot of cock on close will do this (normal). Timing a 700 requires cutting the cocking cam helix to a different angle. I dont know of any doing it, so Id live with the cock on close.

Thanks ShtrRdy.
I have contacted the dealer here for Remington. He is looking into a replacement for me.
It is definitely the cocking piece that is causing the issue. Have had 7 bolts in and out of the rifle, all function as they should except the one out of it.
The Jewel trigger made zero difference.
Standing bolts side by side, you can see the .030" difference in the cocking pin/lever length.
You have confirmed my suspicions.
Thanks all.

Cheers.

Thanks for the update. I hope Remington can help you out. They've been in a bind having to sell off different parts of the company to survive.

-- Todd

Thanks, yeah the Rem dealer here has a complete spare firing pin assembly, just waiting on confirmation for warranty repair.
If all goes well, should be shooting in about a week. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.