Sticking bolt ....hot loads not the problem

OK, WOW, 3000 FPS out of an 06. Even with a 150 or less pill that is amazing. That is 300 WM levels.

The Hornaday book lists 53.6 grains of IMR 4064 at 3000fps with a 23" barrel. AA4064 is slightly slower, but is also a slower burning powder. Have no idea what the chamber pressure spec is in the Hornaday manual, but AA list theirs in the 58K/59K psi area. 56 grains of IMR 4064 seems a little over the top, but remember you can't really go by what Hornaday calls out as max.
gary

The Hornaday book lists 53.6 grains of IMR 4064 at 3000fps with a 23" barrel. AA4064 is slightly slower, but is also a slower burning powder. Have no idea what the chamber pressure spec is in the Hornaday manual, but AA list theirs in the 58K/59K psi area. 56 grains of IMR 4064 seems a little over the top, but remember you can't really go by what Hornaday calls out as max.
gary

Hornady is very conservative on there max loads. They say in their manual that the max load for 140gn A-max in a 6.5 Creedmoor with H4350 is only 40.9 grains. It says right on their factory ammo box that they use 41.5 gn of H4350. How weird is that?

one otherthing you might want to inspect is the loaded neck diameter verses the chamber I.D. Your loaded rounds slip right in there, but have only one thousandth inch of clearance. Rounds will shoot just fine, but be a bear to extract. I'd also try sizing five cases .003"/.004" shorter at the shoulder headspace. If that doesn't help, shorten the necks about .020". If that doesn't help, then try shaving .002" off the neck O.D. I would try these steps one at a time to isolate the problem
gary

Wow!

This sight is nice.

I'm going to try almost everything suggested. Thanks a lot for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

The brass is only shot once and all are exactly the same as the new brass...but I'm still going through every process suggested :)

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts