Steyr SSG .308?

EXPRESS

I have been offered a Steyr SSG P-1(SSG 69)for about $1200US. I have a good idea of the rifle's history, so it should not be a lemon.

There are just a few thing I don't like about this rifle.

The stock; it is made of Cycolac ABS plastic, and it gives you just that idea: "PLASTIC" like a toy. As one report I have read said "not rigid nor massive enough".

The milled dovetail on the reciever that accepts the proprietary Steyr-Mannlicher scope rings may be a good idea, but you must use those and only those rings, no other tubes can be used, nor can it be setup with any kind of cant.

As far as I know no one makes and aftermarket stock for it, but I wonder if it could be modified? Maybe filled and reiforced?

The Prive is very good, they retail here for close to twice that, but I did have plans to build my own rifle.

Does anybody have any experience with this rifle?
What can be said for it?
Would it serve me better than my "other" idea?(see preious post)
At least it wouldn't mean 6month to 1 year messing around...

Thanks, in advance for any advice or help I can get.

...I just got off the phone to McMillan, they were as usual very curtious and helpful, and do indeed make a stock for the SSG.

I figure this rifle will shoot better than I can, so at the price, I can add the McMillan stock and I'm still below the cost of a new one.
smile.gif

Express, I have a buddy that shoots 1k bench with one.It's untouched except for a scope fitted ,he competes in the factory class.It's suprising how good this thing is ,has already shot a 9.9 inch group @ 1k with 175 smk's.Can't tell if it's good deal but as i'm in Australia..JR

watch out...

mcmillan stock run for 700 usd... I know because the stock on mine broke right at the magazine, I`m having a new one custom made in wood...

steyr should know plastic ages and they made poorly pieces....

when I tryied to clean the adjustable lenght pieces in mine they all fell to pieces and had to make another set of aluminum since I could not find replacements, anywhere.

steyr should be sued for making such crappy plastics, the magazines cost as much as a remington plastic stock, and when they fall to the ground they are ruined, plastic is so rigid it breaks instantly.

steel is another thing, the rifle is 1moa up to 900 meters.

the barrel cannot be changed as the factory uses a "million" ton press to fit the barrels to the action, once the barrel is done you can kiss the rifle goodbye.

Joe from Mexico.

Joe...

mcmillan stock run for 700 usd... I know because the stock on mine broke right at the magazine, I`m having a new one custom made in wood...

Joe I am curious if you have received your new wood stock...
I am thiniking of replacing the plastic on an SSG 69 P1

I have been offered a Steyr SSG P-1(SSG 69)for about $1200US. I have a good idea of the rifle's history, so it should not be a lemon.

There are just a few thing I don't like about this rifle.

The stock; it is made of Cycolac ABS plastic, and it gives you just that idea: "PLASTIC" like a toy. As one report I have read said "not rigid nor massive enough".

The milled dovetail on the reciever that accepts the proprietary Steyr-Mannlicher scope rings may be a good idea, but you must use those and only those rings, no other tubes can be used, nor can it be setup with any kind of cant.

As far as I know no one makes and aftermarket stock for it, but I wonder if it could be modified? Maybe filled and reiforced?

The Prive is very good, they retail here for close to twice that, but I did have plans to build my own rifle.

Does anybody have any experience with this rifle?
What can be said for it?
Would it serve me better than my "other" idea?(see preious post)
At least it wouldn't mean 6month to 1 year messing around...

Thanks, in advance for any advice or help I can get.

Express,

I don't personally own one...however, I have shot my share of them.

They are excellent rifles (as far as the barrel, action & trigger(s) goes)

Is this P1 you're looking at have the 26" Kirschenbaum barrel & Double Set-Triggers???

If so, you can buy it...and when you crack the stock....I'll buy it from you for $800 broke stock & all! Hahahaha!!!

However....why don't you contact Near Manufacturing about a custom Picatinney-Style Scope Base? He can make it at ANY MOA you want!!!

Here is his link: Near Manufacturing - Rifle Scope Bases

Why don't you check Near out...and e-mail them.

They should be able to help you solve your scope rings problem.

He is a master machinist...and makes numerous custom and one-off gun parts for VERY reasonable prices.

Hope any of this helps,

Slayyer22

'Manners'

Impressive stocks...
interesting video on U-tube, thanks for the info.

I was thinking...
a nice piece of Bastogne Walnut, dark brown...
cut to the same design, and contour as the origional SSG 69 P1 stock.
Maybe a change and different buttstock spacers.

I'm having a .338 ultra mag built,
should be finished after the first of the year,
on a rem. action...
'Manners' might be a good choice.
Do 'Manners' stocks have to be bedded to my action??

Cheers

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.