Steyr ProHunter ... a premium grade rifle?

Boomslang

Would love some opinions on the relative quality of a Steyr ProHunter.

How does it compare to a Winchester Model 70, for example? Or a Browning X-Bolt?

Is it a step above these rifles? Do any of the components stick out as especially nice quality, or poor quality?

They seem to be very well liked in Europe but not too much solid info on them here. I have done quite a bit of Google'ing.

Steyr Prohunters are excellent rifles. Shot quite a few of them back in the day. Sold more of them than I could even begin to count (I used to sell guns at a small local shop). We NEVER had a customer come back with a negative report...Only positive. Never had the cash to buy one back then. Wish I had gotten one in 7mm RemMag, back when I could get stainless 25.5" models for $599. Now you can't hardly find them around here at all.

I would take a Steyr over a M70 or X-Bolt any day of the week. Steyr barrels are cold hammer forged. They're very accurate. Steyr rifles are top-tier quality, IMO.

I would put it up against an A-Bolt II, or Rem 700, but I think it would end in a 3-way tie for first place.

If you find one in the caliber you want, buy it! I have two and they are both very accurate, one in 7mag and a 6.5 Swede.

What price range should I be looking to pay? $1000? $1200?

What would you guys say makes these rifles stand out compared to something like a Model 70 (which I have owned a couple of and have always liked) ?

I paid $1600 for a new Pro Varmint in Kommiefornia through my LGS who had to order it from Steyr USA.

Another rifle I'm looking at is the Model 70 Extreme Weather stainless. Seems like a good comparison. Price being about equal, seems like the Steyr is a better choice?

I'm curious about the quality of the Steyr's stock, though.

Another rifle I'm looking at is the Model 70 Extreme Weather stainless. Seems like a good comparison. Price being about equal, seems like the Steyr is a better choice?

I'm curious about the quality of the Steyr's stock, though.

I'm not familiar with the M 70 Weather Extreme, but I do know about the Steyr Mannlicher composite stocks. They are as good as the other parts of the rifle, top notch for the price. No cheap plastic crap you'll find on others. The whole Mannlicher package is just great. I strongly recommend that you go Mannlicher. In their new hunting rifles SM 12 SX and CL II SX the composite stocks have become even better (aluminium bedding block etc.) if that is possible. You are definitely not in a need for an aftermarket stock.

Would you guys say that a Steyr Pro Hunter is $400 better than a Model 70 that is identical in caliber, stock, etc? The Steyr I like is going to run about that much more than the M70 I like, and they are basically identical.

Would you guys say that a Steyr Pro Hunter is $400 better than a Model 70 that is identical in caliber, stock, etc? The Steyr I like is going to run about that much more than the M70 I like, and they are basically identical.

The Steyr has a better chance at being a more accurate factory gun... IMHO.

If you can, maybe your local gun store has a new leftover Browning A-Bolt II in the caliber you are looking for. Those are also accurate shooters. I am not a fan of the X-Bolt, or AB3 rifles.

Steyr.jpg I found this Steyr Pro Hunter NIB , 30-06 for $549. minus scope, I put this old scope on it just to shoot it, I have a new one on the way, Love this Rifle so far.

And i have one in 280 rem. Tack driver and the best rigger i have ever had. Got a $125 upgrade to the forward push set trigger and it is truly amazing. The trigger without setting it forward is better than any i have tried, and i have shot tameness and jewels. I have several tameness here.
find one online and you will never look back. worth twice the price!
SnT

I have been in the Steyr Dailmer Puch manufacturing facility where they make there rifles. All parts and pieces were manufactured in house under strict europen qaulity control standards. They are not shy about scarpping a complete firearm in any stage of the manufacture process if it does not meet quallity control standards. IMHO they are a better product for fit, form and function; best out of box acurate rifles currently produced.

"Vaya Steyr"

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.