Steyr Pro Hunter, Hawke Scope and the .260 Review

ADMIN

Administrator
The .260 Remington round is far from dead. My relationship with the .260 started early in its history. In the late 1990's Remington did a slight change to the 6.5-08 A Square which had been around for many years and standardized by A Square through SAAMI. The .260 has the same ballistics as the 6.5-08 but the neck of the .260 is just slightly longer. About the time the .260 hit the market, Thompson Center brought out the Encore. As soon as I saw this rifle was available in the .260, I ordered one. I mounted a 3x9 Leupold on it and sighted it in on my range. This rig would shoot a one inch group all day. It became my primary rifle to hunt whitetails. I once lent it to a friend to take a doe. He got the doe and came back almost in amazement; he said, "That rifle shot exactly where I aimed". Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Steyr Pro Hunter, Hawke Scope and the .260 Review, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Production rifles continue to give sub MOA results. Savage started the break thru but Ruger Weatherby Browning Remington are trying to catch up. JJ what was the price range for the rifle and what gun smithing would you recommend to take this rifle to custom performance. The bedding was not mentioned??

CR that was a bare bones factory rifle with no changes. I would like a little better trigger with less take up but that is personal choice. I really do not think the rifle can shoot too much better. There are no aftermarket stocks. I had five of these but now own only four. One has a rare wooden stock. All shoot less than MOA. Yes there are quite of few factory rifles that shoot less than MOA. That 1/2 MOA difference between factory and custom costs a lot. The cost of this rilfe varies so much. Mine were all purchased for less than $700 but that is changing.

It's nice to read what others have to say about one of my favorite rifle/cartridges. I wasn't familiar with the 260 when I found a Pro Hunter at a gunshow and being a long time fan of the 6.5x55 it came home with me. My Pro Hunter is a consistent 3/4moa shooter even with the Remington 140gr Express Core-Lokt. Mine really shines with a 120gr Nosler Hunting BT with 43.5gr of IMR4350 avg 3/8" for 3 shots at 100yd.

FYI Mcmillan offers a stock based on their A-3 model:
McMillan Tactical Stocks, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Synthetic Stocks, Tactical Stocks

Most of my rifles are in 6.5 bore, my old Swede in 6.5x55, the Steyr in 260 and a pair of 6.5 Grendels on the AR platform. Makes stocking components easier.

Steyr uses a bedding system that has a round front lug that fits into a matching recess in the stock and both actions screws bear against pillars embedded in the stock. With the accuracy and consistency of shot placement I get I won't bother with further bedding.

I enjoyed this article.

Nice to see Steyr making an impact over in the US. The model reviewed was obviously a PRO model II. The model I had an awful stock with a very weak forestock. You could leave it sitting out in the sun and literally watch the forestock bend towards the barrel.

We in the UK consider the pro an entry level rifle which is priced similar to Remington 700s, Tikka T3, etc. A common entry level package is the Steyr PRO with a mid range Zeiss Duralyt ( European version of conquest) scope, bipod and moderator (silencer).

Those wishing to move up generally opt for the Steyr Professional or model M.

I enjoyed the article and got some more ideas about bullets from it. I do not shoot a .260, but do have a 6.5x55 that I've never had reason to look away from (two of them in fact). One is a military swede with a 6.5x20 scope and 50mm objective. With only a good trigger and carefully built handloads using Nosler Ballistic Tip 120's, that rifle will group under 1" at 200 yards off the bench. It is heavy, but what a stand rifle! The second is a lightweight mauser small ring m98 with a classic european stock, a claw mounted Kollmorgen 6x with a post and crosshair and a medium weight barrel, 25" long. I just finished chambering the barrel and crowning it with an 11 degree crown... If it does as well as my other one, I should be able to carry this one in the field easily - it's weight is only seven pounds with scope and adjustable mounts. It's a great thing that our modern gunmakers have not deserted the tried and true calibers.

My one question is if anyone has tried the 6.5 x 55 Ackley Improved? I've not seen data on that but I know I could easily convert my M98 to the AI if it is worth the difference.

It's nice to read what others have to say about one of my favorite rifle/cartridges. I wasn't familiar with the 260 when I found a Pro Hunter at a gunshow and being a long time fan of the 6.5x55 it came home with me. My Pro Hunter is a consistent 3/4moa shooter even with the Remington 140gr Express Core-Lokt. Mine really shines with a 120gr Nosler Hunting BT with 43.5gr of IMR4350 avg 3/8" for 3 shots at 100yd.

FYI Mcmillan offers a stock based on their A-3 model:
McMillan Tactical Stocks, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Synthetic Stocks, Tactical Stocks

Most of my rifles are in 6.5 bore, my old Swede in 6.5x55, the Steyr in 260 and a pair of 6.5 Grendels on the AR platform. Makes stocking components easier.

Steyr uses a bedding system that has a round front lug that fits into a matching recess in the stock and both actions screws bear against pillars embedded in the stock. With the accuracy and consistency of shot placement I get I won't bother with further bedding.

I enjoyed this article.

Chaos -
My records show a 6.5-55 AI that was in for restoration several years ago. The semi-heavy barrel had been 26", was re-chambered down to 24 3/4" and crowned 10 degrees (rounded dome).

The trigger was re-polished and adjusted to customer's preferred 3.25 lbs. pull.

Considerable stock restoration left it in questionable shape, a new stock was suggested, but not purchased.

Barrel and action were de-rusted, welded, filed, shot blasted, normalized, cryogenic treated, straightened, and Parkerized.

An accurizing effort lists 15-round groups average .72" at 300 meters with max group at 1.48". A 5-round group at 500 m was 2.54", a 5-round group at 800 m was 7.44", a 5-round group at 1,000 m was 12.14". Accurizing was done with new brass, slugs were 125 grain Sierra boat tail spitzer. I see several tests with conflicting data regarding powders and charges. Probably mis-recorded or should have been re-run. This was NOT one of Parker Ackley's jobs - its not his handwriting - probably either my grandfather's or one of his friends, possibly one of my uncle's. Nobody signed the notebook.

Note on the .260 Remington round - a friend made up a .260 and quite stoically reported it as one of the best 1000 m rounds available - that was before he tried the 6.5-.284 (now Norma) round, which he reports is THE best. Other friends are split regarding the 6BR and the 6.5-.284 Norma - groups keep going down as they put their money and efforts into these 2 excellent rounds.

Is it just me or are more and more companies offering their rifles in a .260?? I'm not very familiar with the round but it seems that I see that caliber being offered in more models by more manufactures.
As far as Steyr is concered, I loved my rifle. Right out of the box it shot great. The only down side to Steyr was that after market accessories are hard to find. At least it was for my SSG.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Yes it seems the .260 is here to stay along with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I am currently working with a Savage Long Range Hunter in .260 so look for that article in 2015. I like the Steyr and wish I could keep all the ones I have shot. Have a good hunting season. John

Thanks for the review John. I have been looking at ph. I enjoyed the review alot as the 260 is somewhat of a addiction for me. I have owned 4 and have 3 currently the 700 LSS Mountain was odd man out a couple of months back. The ph looks very interesting to me for the price they are more reasonable than any that I own. Currently the Sako 85 Hunter the 700 CDL SF and the 700 VLS.

All are very accurate and easily capable of MOA the Sako shoots 5 into a dime at 100. I have had my best results with 140's and H4831 SC Win 760 and H414 are excellent with 120 and 125gr bullets and H100V is promising as well. I tried the 4350's and they shot moa but barely. My favorite hunting bullet is the 120 NBT for the deer here in VA. I tried the 140 NAB and was pleased with the results but when I shot deer with them sometimes they acted like they were not hit when shot center mass. I need to try the 140 AMAX as I have heard excellent reviews of it.

Please let us know about your hunting results.

Good luck and shoot straight all

Merry Christmas

Bob

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your support. Indeed the .260 has been put on the back burner by many, in favor of the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have taken several Texas whitetail with the .260. I usually shoot the 130gr. Berger for target and hunting. The Nosler BT is my favorite in my 6mm Rem. Look for a review of the .260 in the Savage LRH. The Steyr is a fine bargain and usually very accurate. The Hornady Amax is a great target bullet but there are mixed reports of its use for hunting. Another good bullet is the Hornady GMX. It leaves large exit holes in deer. Tracking is not needed. Meryy Christmas to you and all the readers.

John

Nice to see Steyr making an impact over in the US. The model reviewed was obviously a PRO model II. The model I had an awful stock with a very weak forestock. You could leave it sitting out in the sun and literally watch the forestock bend towards the barrel.

We in the UK consider the pro an entry level rifle which is priced similar to Remington 700s, Tikka T3, etc. A common entry level package is the Steyr PRO with a mid range Zeiss Duralyt ( European version of conquest) scope, bipod and moderator (silencer).

Those wishing to move up generally opt for the Steyr Professional or model M.

Reports of the original Pro Hunter's stock being problematic are greatly exaggerated & may even be due entirely to a single bad production run. I purchased my Steyr Pro Hunter in January 2000, chambered for the venerable .30-06 cartridge. My rifle was a true tack driver right out of the box and that with a variety of factory ammo in a variety of weather conditions ranging from freezing cold to hot Texas summers. My Pro Hunter shoots 0.5 MOA at 200 yards in a 20 mph cross wind with 180 gr factory ammo from Winchester, Remington, and Hornady.

For a production rifle, the Steyr Pro Hunter leads the market in accuracy, safety and reliability, IMO. Plus the ergonomics are well conceived and practically implemented. There is a reason that original Steyr owners are reluctant to sell these beloved rifles.

I have an extra Steyr Mlll Professional in a 270 win that I would part with if anyone is interested. I ordered a new 6.5x284 that I need to pay for.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts