Steyr Pro Hunter, Hawke Scope and the .260 Review

The 260 being readily available wasn't my experience. It was what I wanted originally but no luck. Ended up going with a 6.5x55se instead in a Steyr. Not the most gorgeous but since the Barrel can be replaced I can live with it to get the 60 degree bolt. My alternate was going to be a Sako (which I could have gotten the 260 in) but I would have had to forego the ~24" barrel I wanted or rebarreled.

The only common one I can think of is the Remington 7 in 260 (at least of those that were able to be found easily). Savage supposedly has them too but I've never seen them in any nearby shops. I saw a bunch of 6.5 Creedmores though. It wasn't what I wanted however, I don't care how good it supposedly is. ;)

Steyr is the best for its price range. I will be white tail hunting this weekend with a 6.5x55 Blaser which is a tack driver. The 6.5x55 is a very versatile round and of course it is over 100 years old.
You made a good choice.

Acidic -
With the modern powders available ...today's strong 6.5x55 actions and steels can be loaded by a knowledgeable handloader to his respective rifle's chamber and bore's pressure profile [ then backed off to the best accuracy node ].
That is a lot of work when the 6.5 CM is right off the shelf. What are your logical objections to the CM, or is it just emotional preference ? Hey, rifles are like dogs and girlfriends...somethings are just personal internal wants...forget the reality of needs.

I own a Remington model 7 in the 260 caliber and it is an awesome gun for whitetail. I used this gun for many years and now my oldest son who is twelve is using it to hunt. The farthest a deer ever ran was approximately 35 yards from where it was shot. I shoot 140 gr corelokts and I average a 1/4 to 1/2 inch group at 200 yards. I shot a whitetail up in northern pa from a vista at 578 yards and dropped it flat right where it stood. This is a great rifle which killed a lot of deer in the past years and will in the future as well.

The Creedmoor is a great round also. I currently own one and have another in my shop for a review. I personally like both the .260 and the 6. Creedmoor. The .260 just came first. I have no objections to the Creedmoor it is just another cartridge.

I own a Remington model 7 in the 260 caliber and it is an awesome gun for whitetail. I used this gun for many years and now my oldest son who is twelve is using it to hunt. The farthest a deer ever ran was approximately 35 yards from where it was shot. I shoot 140 gr corelokts and I average a 1/4 to 1/2 inch group at 200 yards. I shot a whitetail up in northern pa from a vista at 578 yards and dropped it flat right where it stood. This is a great rifle which killed a lot of deer in the past years and will in the future as well.

WOW 1/8 MOA at 200 yards is record breaking with a thin barrel Rem M7 and the Big Green's most economical bullet design. It is so exceptional we should award the 2015 Pinocchio posthaste !

Patience is a main key to all shooting. Take your time and relax. Let the gun do the work. I love shooting and off of a lead sled at 200 yards it is nothing to cut the same bullet holes. I shoot for accuracy for hunting not speed competition. Small barrel equals longer time between shots to let the barrel cool. As far as insults that was lame. If you put your mind to it it can be accomplished. Some people are just steadier than others. My 260 love the Corelokts. I have tried other brands and bullets but these are the best group for factory ammo I found yet. So don't be a hater just Sayin'.

CRa Txn,
I see what you are blowing off about. In my first post that was supposed to be 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 in groups. I apologize for the typographical error.

Good Man LeePa...I spent 39 years and over 29,000 hours aloft as a pilot in the USAF & AAL being critiqued and critiquing the smallest detail or "tale".
I may be the one that called "BS" but I assure you that your readdressing the "spell checker" removing that additional 1" will gain you much respect with this crowd.
Your heart and brain are bigger than your ego...that is very healthy.
Good On You,
CRaTXn
PS Now that we have duked it out in the sand box we can become friends.

I don't like causing outrages just chiming in with what knowledge I know. I just have to make sure the spell check on this computer doesn't put mis info on these posts from now on. I even was a little perturbed to see what it did on my first post. I am actually thinking of handloading for the 260. A buddy of mine is using noslers with great results so I am thinking of trying them to see if I can get a little more out of the thin barreled model 7. I am not looking for record breaking just a little tighter group. As I said my oldest son is using it now but I still shoot it with him. I have a lot of brass so I figured it is worth a shot.

CRaTxn,
I am pleased to see you can except an apology for an honest mistake. I'm glad we can be friends. I don't want any enemies on here after all this place is for discussion help and knowledge for all readers. So here's to you for being my friend.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.