Stevens Rifles

IChaseCoues

I'm wondering what kind of accuracy these rifles are capable of in factory form.

Of course all the little tricks like bedding, floating the bbl and quality handloads and glass are a given.

Are the barrels the same as the Savage rifles?
We have been told the short actions are the same as a Savage 10 without the Accutrigger, but does that mean the barrels are too?
Can MOA accuracy be expected?

Im thinking of a low cost,light weight, med range(<600yd), beater in maybe 7-08. Will be used for small deer, so the cartridge should be up to the task.
Any who have experience with these rifles please advise.

Oh, and this project would be kind of an experiment that may later become a donor action if plans change. I already have a LR rifle as well as a few for other purposes.

Same barrel and action as the regular savage, just no accu trigger. If you do use the action for a long range gun get a 4 ounce rifle basix trigger. If you get a good barrel a .25 inch gun bad barrel 2 inches.

I now have four of the Stevens 200 rifles. A 223 Ackley, 243, 7mm-08 and a 300 Win mag.

Got the 300 first, to use as a Skidoo rifle, because I was tired of beating up my SAKO and Husqvarna rifles on the machine while hunting caribou.

The 300 shot so well, under an inch with every bullet weight I tried in it, that I bought a 223 for wolves and coyotes. It shot even better, putting even factory ammo into half inch groups. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I had Bill Leeper rechamber it to 223 Ackley, and it will put five 40 gr BTs at just under 4000 fps into half an inch almost every time I sit down and get serious with it.

I was truly amazed, so then got a 7mm-08 and it is a consistent 3/4 inch rifle. Last week I got a 243 and just shot two consecutive sub-minute groups with it a 300 meters. That's 327 yards, and the groups were well under three inches.

Remember, this is with factory stock rifles, no tweaking, unbedded, just have the triggers adjusted to break clean at around three pounds. Amazing!

Ted

Ill echo the comments above. You can expect the same thing from the stephens as you do the savage. Just the older tooling is all.

So, are the factory triggers worth a darn?
Read they were adjustable, but haven't heard if they were worth a hoot.
I wish they chambered it in 260 Rem. That would be a fun cartridge to try.
Now to find out how to lighten up the stock even more!
And maybe get the barrel fluted.
The quest is for 6lb with scope!

if you don't mind a heavy trigger, they work very well. All Savage parts will swap in so you can choose a variety of triggers from SSS, Timney, and Rifle Basix.

I have used both the SSS and RB and like them both. The RB #2 version gets BR light which I prefer. I have built several LR rifles using these actions and they work great.

Stocks are also wide open. I would bug the reg. stock makers of ultra light stocks. I bet they have some very light composite ones now.

As a factory rifle, they shoot crazy good. Just properly bed them, especially around the front lug if using the orig stock.

The trigger is the only weak spot and only if you want something under 2.5lbs.

Jerry

New savage is adjustable, and by far, the best out of the box trigger on the market. old savage, (stephens)... plan on getting an aftermarket trigger. The SSS and riflebasix are both great.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> All Savage parts will swap in </font> so you can choose a variety of triggers from SSS, Timney, and Rifle Basix.

[/ QUOTE ] This was probably just a typo, everything else in this post and thread seems to be spot on.

The reciever for an Accutrigger gun gets machined differently than a Stevens or the older Savage reciever so an Accutrigger will not fit on a non-Accutrigger gun.

Also, they lengthened the action screw spacing on the short action guns recently to make room for the new "Pheonix" magazine system. So the stocks on these guns won't fit on the Stevens or the older Savage recievers. My 2 year old Savage is now "old style". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Still love it tho.

Some like the Stevens triggers just fine for hunting after adjustment, mines an Accutrigger so I can't tell you first hand. Ted says he gets a three pound pull and a crisp break.

Savage did offer the .260 just a couple of years ago. I guess they didn't sell well because they dropped them. Too bad, that's the caliber that I'd like to have too. I figure I might get another 223 gun for varmints and screw in a .260 barrel down the road.

Nobody lightens Savage recievers that I'm aware of but the ID and OD are the same diameters as Rem 700s so I'm sure that a smith that machines down 700s could do the same to a Savage/Stevens reciever and get similar weight reductions.

you could always just order a new savage barrel in 260 if you wanted....
Part#104440 260Rem/24" 1:8Twist Varmint contour. Hard to get sometimes but its out there. About 250 when they are avalable.
The easier option might be: Part#104438 7mm-08/24" 1:9.5Twist Varmint contour $148.75 These barrels do well with the 162Amax, 168Berger and the like.

[ QUOTE ]
So, are the factory triggers worth a darn?
Read they were adjustable, but haven't heard if they were worth a hoot.
I wish they chambered it in 260 Rem. That would be a fun cartridge to try.
Now to find out how to lighten up the stock even more!
And maybe get the barrel fluted.
The quest is for 6lb with scope!

[/ QUOTE ]

There are sporter weight barrels avalable as well that would make your 6lb mark.

Part#104322 260Rem/22"1:8Twist Sporter $135.28

Part#104454 260Rem/22" 1:8 Sporter stainless $235.00

Part#104270 7mm08/20" CM 9.5 Sporter $125.96

Part#104255 7mm08/22" Cm 1:9.5 Sporter $125.96

Part#104456 7mm08/22" Stainless 1:9.5 Sporter $199.00

Part#100928 7mm08/24" 1:9.5 Sporter $148.64

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Who manufactures these barrels and where can they be purchased?

Haven't bought one yet, but I'm going to look at a few next week when I go to the big city.
I'll call it the gun on weight watchers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If I do end up with one it'll be a 7-08. (for now at least)
The 160gr range of projectiles seems right. Of course the 175 SMK will get some time too.
There's a guy on this site who will flute the bolt. That will take off a little weight.
If it shoots good, I might get the bbl fluted as well as cut to 20". Or maybe not cut it off and leave it at 22".
How much weight would be lost in fluting the bbl, .5 lb?

The stock will be skeletonized as much as possible, but stiffened to reduce flex. Light rigid scope mounting system and a light 3-9 scope.
My last build started with a 10lb limit and I think its closer to 14lb now, so goals are relative!
Wait a minuite, most everything I have just said is going against the grain of this site. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It will not be a true long (shooting) range rifle, but it will be a high mileage rifle that should end up with med range capability.
Thanks for all who have responded and keep the info coming!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Who manufactures these barrels and where can they be purchased?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are Savage factory barrel part numbers for savage factory barrels. http://www.savageparts.com/barrels.html
Ive used 6 barrels from these guys on my rifle, and friends rifles. They ae all typical savage barrels in that they shoot well, but tend to copper foul a bit unless broken in, or treated to some of david tubb's final finish.
if you decide to get one, let me know. Ill hook you up with a good source for barrel blocks for a vise to swap the barrel, and barrel nut wrench to swap them.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.