stevens 200 action in 338 edge

gphil

I recently bought a stevens 200 chambered in a 30 06 and I was planning on turning it into a single shot 338 edge or 338 rum. I have ordered a magnum bolt face, trued barrel nut, sav-2 trigger, and a SSS recoil lug, action wrench, and a barrel nut wrench. I was just told I also need to replace the front bolt baffle and firing pin assembly. I have never heard this before and I wanted to check before ordering pieces.

Thanks,

Garrett

Who told you this, and did they explain why? I may want to know myself in the future. I am not building a 338 now, only a 280 AI, but you never can tell what the future holds....

You may need to change the firing pin. I'm not sure about the diameters, but savage made a small hole and large hole version firing pin. If you have a small hole bolt head and a large firing pin it won't fit. On the baffle, I don't think you would have to.

hmmm so as long as when I get my magnum bolt face and it all goes together with my current baffle and firing pin assembly then i dont need to buy anything else right ?

If you are planning on buying a pre-threaded and chambered barrel some barrel makers will not chamber the large diameter brass in a standard shank barrel even though Savage used to do it themselves (lawyers again).

gphil, your info may be wrong. As far as I know Savage has been using the small firing pin hole for sometime now. I dont believe you need to change the rear baffle on this. If you were going from a standard cartridge to a .223 then yes you would have to change the rear baffle. What mountainman said is correct about a pre-fit. You may find a smith to do one for you.

Dang, there's your 338 Edge standard shank gphil. I happen to have a Stevens 200 hanging around waiting for a project. I might try one of these barrels in a 6.5-284 myself.

jw, thank you, I like that. Now I have a reason to buy a long action donor rifle.

There are more better barrel makers out there that make the same type of pre chambered barrels for savages, like Shilen, and Pacnor.
Just need to do a little research. I have a few savages just waiting around that I have picked up for dirt cheap. I have two that shoot sub moa. All day long.
Can't beat a Savage!gun)

I have 10 complete Savage rifles, 10 extra barrels, some new, and a new Target Action waiting to do something with.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.