Steiner or Zeiss Binoculars?

Bill Maylor

I am using some Nikon 10x42 Monarch binoculars and their OK. I am thinking of steping up to a Steiner or Zeiss. I did look through a pair of Steiner and some Swarovski, one after the other and I could not see a lot of differance. I have not looked through the Zeiss. I want 12 power or more. What do you guy's use? Bill Maylor.

I recently upgraded from the Monarch 10x42's to the Steiner Merlins. So far I really like the Steiners. Of the Binocs that I looked through they were #3 behind the Swaros and the Meoptas (the Meoptas were #1).

I am using some Nikon 10x42 Monarch binoculars and their OK. I am thinking of steping up to a Steiner or Zeiss. I did look through a pair of Steiner and some Swarovski, one after the other and I could not see a lot of differance. I have not looked through the Zeiss. I want 12 power or more. What do you guy's use? Bill Maylor.

When you are talking about optic's opinions seem to differ more than on other gun related issues so I will just give you my opinion.
I have never been too impressed with any of the Steiner's I like the Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss head and shoulder's over Steiner or rymart's Meoptas, it is not a fair test of a bino to look at a chart 50yds away in a sporting goods store, in real world hunting situations the Steiner's and others fall short.
As for your last point "12 power or more" I would never reccomend anything over 10 power for your primary binocular let me explain why.
I have 2 set's of bino's a 10x42 EL and a 15x56 SLC, my 15 power are awesome but to take full advantage they need to be on a tri-pod (as would 12 power). with the 10 power they are much more versatile and dont need a tri-pod. if you can only have one set of bino's 10's are the best choice.
UB

UncleB is spot on, I like 10X42 for my primary and I have Leica Ultrvids, I also have a pair of Swarovski 15X56
I also agree that in the field and under poor lighting and or shadows the Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss are head and shoulders above any thing Steiner makes

To set the record straight, I took the binoculars outside of the Lehi Cabelas store and glassed Tipanogus Mountain and the foothills above the store. It was less than 1/2 hour before sunset on an overcast day. The test that really separated the models was looking at a barbed wire fence at the top of the foothills, just below the skyline, several miles away. Only the Meoptas, Swaros, and the Steiner Merlins were able to resolve the individual strands of wire on the fence (verses just the fence posts). The Cabelas Model by Steiner were close, but did not resolve the wire for me. The Steiner Predators, Nikon Monarchs, and another Cabelas model were a tier below the other mentioned models. What really made the Meoptas stand out to me was the brightness and the trueness of the colors. I did not try any Zeiss or Leica models. All models that I tried were 10x(40mm-42mm). I didn't think the difference in either the Meoptas or the Swaros justified the difference in price for me, but I am a cheap sucker.

This test was limited to my eyes, my perception of the glass, the available daylight and conditions, and the available floor models at the Cabelas store (maybe a pair or two had been dropped one too many times or something). FWIW, my wife ranked them the same as I did, except she couldn't really say that the Meoptas were better or worse than the Swaros and she DID think they were both worth the extra $ over the Steiners.

I agree with UncleB and jwp475. Steiner have very uneven quality, and there's really so many other better choices out there. The most expensive Steiners are good binos, but I prefer the other names mentioned. another unsung choice is the Kowa Genesis 44.

I also agree with 10x being top end for comfort, but if you are happy with 12x-15x then you are good to go.

Scott

I have used both and to me across the board the Zeiss Conquest are optically superior to the Steiner units... Being old fashioned, I prefer the 8x units for "around the neck" use, and then a 12x or 15x for use on a tripod for spot and stock hunting. The Zeiss 15x45 is a very handy size and I have used it side by side to a 15x58 Minox and they are just as bright untill way past shooting hours. The size and weight are big factors when you are hunting on foot and you are packing your optics in your back pack. NJS

Well thanks for the info guys, I am now looking for the best deal on some 15x45 Zeiss. They seem to be more of what I am looking for. I still have not looked through a pair but if their like my Zeiss rifle scope their good. I will keep my 10 power binos for backup. Bill Maylor.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.