Steiner Nighthunter Binoculars

Steiners themselves are good optics.

Predator coating is specialized in blocking some of the Primary colors, (blue & green) light wavelengths.
That enhances the other Primary color, Red which makes it stand out more.
Remember in science class, "Roy G Biv"?

Now since the color brown has red in it,....anything that is brownish will be seen somewhat better.
They are very good for hunting, but if doing multiple duty, ie., sports watching, etc., you won't have the benefit of more vibrant colors.
They can be somewhat harder to "read" ground terrain when scouting.

For example, if the Red Skins were playing the Eagles, and you are a Eagle fan, the Red Skins Cheerleader uniforms will look much better.

If multiduty glass is your need, then spend the $$$$ on a pair of high quality with a Broad Spectrum coatings.

G&G,

Thanks for your reply. What's the difference between the Nighthunter and the Predator? Could I get the same enhanced Red by wearing a pair of yellow shooting glasses?

db

Yellow glasses, no, not the exact same color results, but it will sharpen things on hazy, cloudy days.

If you have a problem with color,..color blindness, Predator will help with shapes.

Personally opt for broad spectrum coatings on quality binocs, and depending on the "days color" or where I'm hunting, I'll use different shooting glasses.

Also, given the same amount of $$$ to spend, a poro prism is usually of higher optical quality, image enhancing, and sometimes better overall construction (tougher).
Some oldies are still goodies.

Nighthunters have coatings to increase light transmission to the eyes. It should equal what many Japanese brands use as standard. The predator tints the lenses to enhance certain colours but does not have the high end coatings for light transmission.

The nighthunter is better in low light, the predator maybe better for spotting game during the day.

Due to economics and what many birders said, I had a look at Nikon and Pentax binos. For the money, they are outstanding. I settled on the Nikon Monarch ATB in 8X42 since they were smaller and lighter then the Pentax HCF II (note the pentax had just slightly better colour trueness but difference was slight, equal clarity and resolution).

I couldn't be happier. Low light performance is superb. During my hunt, I could spot game in light I couldn't see in. The image resolution and clarity is top notch. Where the "lower" price of this one shows up is distortion around the edge. You would need to spend three times the money to solve that problem. I didn't see the point.

For under $300, I would strongly recommend the Nikons. They should be less money then the Steiners too. Give them a look...

Jerry

I recently looked at just about every piece of glass I could get my hands on.

What I was looking for. Small Light wight Roof prism binoc's. Looked at Leica, Nikon, Swar, Zeiss, and Pentax...

What I bought. Pentax 8X28's...They are awesome...I highly recommend them..Especially for shooters who were glass's.

Xring01, almost went that route too but decided on the larger objective lenses of 42mm just to make sure low light performance was as good as possible.

How are the Pentax in low light?

Jerry

Jerry,

I took my binoc's out at night...Please note that we have street lights around. But I got to the darkest possible place and was looking at things in the dark and was quite please.

I did a side by side comparison with an older set of Pentax PCF 12X50's. The 12X50's did gather more light, but not much more...

For the size, weight. The 8X28's are perfect for hunting applications..If you have a long stalk/walk. It seems to me to be the best compromise.

Like you, I was leaning towards the 32 and 43mm obj...when I compared the cost of the 28mm, then the quality of the optic's. I was impressed. I could have gotten the Pentax 8X32 for more money but I did not think they were better.

If you get a chance, find a pair and take a look. Most of the guys that have looked through mine, instantly said they wanted a pair.

Jerry, xring,

I was interested in the Nighthunter because of its' light gathering optics. We live in a rural valley about 1 mile square and the only light we have is our yard light. Most of the animal movement is made at disk and throughout the night. With a full moon, you can see accross the valley and close shadow movement with the naked eye. I had a cheap pair of 7X35s, but just weren't strong enough to reach out and get a good look, thus the 12X. I know about Jap optics, all of my pro camera gear is Jap. I've used Leitz also, but the Jap stuff is just as good though not as rugged.
Thanks for the info...

db

From everything that I have read. Pentax is the best binoculars out there. Even over Leica...

There is a website I believe its betterviewdesired that compares most of the quality brand binocs.

After reading it. I did my own informal test. I came to the conclusion that Pentax was the best...The 8X42's are great...just a bit big for my application...

Do all the research you can before you lay down the cash. Binocs are a very personal decision. No one set fits everyone.

xring,

I don't doubt that Pentax makes good glass. I once ran a head to head lens test between my Leica equipment and my Pentax stuff. After processing the film and putting these negatives under a microscope, I couldn't tell the difference in resolution, contrast and distortion. I did this with several lens, same result. A $250 Pentax M lens was every bit as good as a $1000 Leica lens. The only way I could justify the cost of the Leitz equipment was the quality of material and assembly. They build the most rugged equipment you can buy. That's why when you see a Geographic photographer he always carries the little black camera with the red dot on it.
Thanks for your advice...

db

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.