Steiner 398 Range Finder Binoculars

mt_archer

Anyone have experience with these as hunting optics? I can't fine much on the web. I am looking to get more range than my Geovid HD's can give me, especially in flat country for small targets (like antelope). I am considering getting a vectronix terrapin, but hate having to carry a second unit. Not that I think the Steiners could compete with the terrapin, but I have two questions:

(1) would they give me a reasonable chance of getting 1500 yards on a sea of grass or stubble? I can rarely get more than about 600-700 yards with Leicas right now unless there is a hill side with a modest slope. Then 1500 is reasonable, but I rarely get antelope standing on hills. And,

(2) even if the rangefinder is better than Leica, will the glass compare? If not, I suppose I am better off keeping my Leica's and buying a separate long range rangefinder.

Also, I do not like the Swaro rangefinders, either separate or in the new EL's, and I am not considering Bushnells or lower end glass. If there are other options I am not considering, I'd like thoughts on that too (and yes, I'd love to get a pair of $10,000 military surplus Vectors or something, but that is not in the budget).

Thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.