Steiner 398 or Geovid or ?

esshup

A buddy wants to buy a binocular/rangefinder combination. He will be using it mostly on steel targets set at unknown distances from 400 yd to 1,000 yd. I believe he's shooting a .308. I explained to him the differences between having a separate rangefinder and binocular, but he perfers to combine the 2.

He hasn't made up his mind on what power the binocular part should be, but his concern is that the range finding capability be the best in that group of optics. His price point is in the range that either the Steiner or any of the Geovid's would fall. I know the optic portion of the Leica is very good, I have no experience with the Steiners. Is one vastly different than the other?

I've searched for real world reviews, comparisons or recommendations on the Steiner 398 10x50 Military LRF 1600yd Laser Range Finder, which he is primairly looking at, but cannot find any. Also, I can't find the beam divergence listed to compare it to the Leica's.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I tried swaying him from the rangefinder/bino combo but that didn't work.

I'm sorry that this does not answering your question. Just my imput on the bino range finder combo. I have been using a geovid for the past 10 or 12 years with no problems other than the one I just mentioned in my post from about 2 min ago. You could not ask for better binoculars. I wouldn't see the point in carrying 2 seperate units. It works great up to 1000 yards and if you have something really reflective it will read 1300 or 1350 but thats about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.