Steiner 20x80 Binoculars

magedon44

Has anyone ever used these? Im currently running a set of 15x Meoptas and looking for a little more magnification. Im not so concerned about the size as I am clarity. Will be used for mountain to mountain hunting on a tripod in PA.

Just got back from PA a few days ago.
As you know it wasent a very nice season from the weather standpoint.
Ive never looked thru the Steiners you mentioned but im sure they are a fine set of glasses. There would be one issue however and that would be that like your present setup they are just one power. There will be days where 15x is all the conditions will allow and days where you can use more, even more than 20x.
Im assuming your relatively new into the Pa ridge to ridge hunting.
Id advise you to do some research as to what others are using before buying any glasses.
You will find that by far most PA hunters are using twin spotting scopes in machined adjustable brackets.
That setup allows for swapping out the eyepieces to whatever power the conditions permit, or the distance requires. You can no doubt have a better setup for less money than you will spend on the Steiners, and possibly far less depending on your taste and opinions.
Where are you located?

I'm a PA "ridge to ridge " long range hunter.
Steiner's are fine glass, and 20x80 will work. You'll spot deer, sometimes you'll wish you had more power to really look at something. I have several setups for glassing.
1.big eyes binos with . 20x up to 40x power.
2. 25x100mm zhumell
3.15x56 for quick work.
I find I really like the big eyes the most . Oberwerk makes a 28x110 I'd consider . Either way, you'll spend money and have fun making memories!

I'm a PA "ridge to ridge " long range hunter.
Steiner's are fine glass, and 20x80 will work. You'll spot deer, sometimes you'll wish you had more power to really look at something. I have several setups for glassing.
1.big eyes binos with . 20x up to 40x power.
2. 25x100mm zhumell
3.15x56 for quick work.
I find I really like the big eyes the most . Oberwerk makes a 28x110 I'd consider . Either way, you'll spend money and have fun making memories!
I had a set of the Oberwerks for quite a long time.
Mine were the turret model with 25x and 40x eyepieces, with 100 mm objectives, and had been (tuned up) by the late Kevin Kuhne after I bought them. They weren't actually the best quality glasses ive owned but they were my favorite to use, and much of that credit would revolve around the tripod and Kevins fine work. The 40s were awesome which is very unusual for that much power in the east. You could actually glass with them if the distance was far enough like over 1000. But it got to the point I could no longer lift them onto the tripod due to lack of arm strength brought on by age.
Ive also had the pleasure of owning several sets of very large ww2 military glasses like 20x120s which no doubt were better quality, but not as good for (what we do) as the Oberwerks I had. Im not advocating just running out and buying a set mind you, just relating my experience with the set I had.
Without sounding like im bragging I hope, our camp yard is as good as it gets in PA for evaluating glasses at distances from 400 to about 3500 yds. Weve spent many many hours there evaluating glass of pretty much every description.
I can tell you one thing for sure, the old cliché that states that on a very good day they are all good, but on a very bad day, none are any good is absolutely in fact true.
So buy what you can afford and enjoy them.

Yobuck
Have we spoke before ? I've talked to a few guys in pa who also lr hunt. I'm in Blair county area, U?

Yobuck
Have we spoke before ? I've talked to a few guys in pa who also lr hunt. I'm in Blair county area, U?
I cant recall any Dave from Blair county, but it's possible we did. Im originally from Bucks county, but have hunted my whole life in the n c part. Our original camp was in what is now Quehanna, and the present one near Driftwood.

I didn't think so, but meanwhile ive gotten an email with a pic of those B&Ls I mentioned. Mint condition might not be enough to describe them in about as nice a bracket as you will ever see. $600 will buy them in a nice oak box. Brackets gotta be worth $400 alone.
Anybody interested I can forward the pic and give contact info. Any standard thread 1" dia. eyepiece will work in them including of coarse Bushnells.

Been LR hunting in Lycoming and Tioga since the 60s Just sold my 20x120 glass
shot lots of deer and a bear, Still setup hunt with the boys near Galeton but all we see up there is trees growing,any more I like the 10x80 tanker glass for general glassing, Not worth spending lots of money on glass anymore, Just my opinion

Been LR hunting in Lycoming and Tioga since the 60s Just sold my 20x120 glass
shot lots of deer and a bear, Still setup hunt with the boys near Galeton but all we see up there is trees growing,any more I like the 10x80 tanker glass for general glassing, Not worth spending lots of money on glass anymore, Just my opinion
Well I would agree and disagree. The big glass you mentioned worked well back in the day. But as you said the same places today don't produce much anymore. I drove the West Rim road last year 2017,
on the first day of buck and most of the old places were empty, I mean nobody there at all. But, all that aside some are still getting good numbers, and nicer than ever on average. Young, willing, and able is pretty much what it takes today. Otherwise just go to enjoy yourself with old friends.

Yep At 72 I am not going over there to get him, been there done that LOL
I once owned the Black FOrest Campground, I got payed to hunt ,,Feel I seen the best of that part of the country, been going there since I was 15, **** live is short

Yep At 72 I am not going over there to get him, been there done that LOL
I once owned the Black FOrest Campground, I got payed to hunt ,,Feel I seen the best of that part of the country, been going there since I was 15, ---- live is short
Are you talking about the one across from the Black Forest Inn on 44? Had dinner there on the day I mentioned in the last post. I don't know how they keep the lights lit, there were so few people there on opening day. Name Jack by any chance?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.