Steens Unit Mule deer, Oregon 2018

medicman29

Just finished our 2018 steens unit mule deer hunt, and to be perfectly honest, I was disappointed. we had 5 tags, and We did take two bucks, a decent 4x4, and a small 4x3, but we did not see very many bucks during the 14 days we were there. We averaged over 7 miles per day hiking and hunting. I'm wondering if anyone else on the forum drew this tag and what they thought. We burned a bunch of points, and like I said, I was just disappointed with the overall quality and quantity of bucks, especially considering the reputation the unit had.

Deer numbers have been way down in the Steens for many many years. Way too many cougars. ODFW used hounds to take out several a couple years ago. They just got about 14 cougars. Not enough to really help. It's a sad thing. The Steens is not what it once was.

Deer numbers are down in Oregon. We have a cougar problem. The desert has a wild horse problem, and now wolfs are moving in. This is what happens when you manage big game by vote. This state's game management has been taken over by the liberals who believe Walt Disney had it right with Bambi and thumper.

Add cheat grass and juniper to all that and it's a wonder you can find a deer at all on the high desert any more.
Land production is rarely ever considered for game production, but there's been a lot nice deer found travelling to or from corn fields lol.

I'm pretty sure I saw as many wild horses as I saw deer, and way more than I saw bucks. I could have shot a couple small bucks, but I wasn't willing to waste my 8 points on a little basket rack 3 point. Did see quite a few cat tracks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts