Steel wool brass prep

I dont understand this. Are you saying this happens with any stainless or 416 in particular?

Supposedly SS has its own ion corrosion that resists rust carbon steel doesn't. They're both similar in hardness and the CS can interfere with SS protective coating. 416 =16% chrome (I think) the 4 versus 3 series of SS has different components but whatever.

Supposedly SS has its own ion corrosion that resists rust carbon steel doesn't. They're both similar in hardness and the CS can interfere with SS protective coating. 416 =16% chrome (I think) the 4 versus 3 series of SS has different components but whatever.

First ive heard. Typically 416 can rust, it does contain iron. Whether steel wool speeds this up i dont know so ill take your word for it. However i do not believe steel wool will cause non ferrous stainless steels to rust in the same matter simply because they dont contain iron.

Right . I weld SS pipe a lot. Seen more than one guy brush his weld with a CS wire brush. Next day obvious rust spots. 308 309 416L that sux for them because the x-ray guys usually want the weld cut out because they think he used the wrong filler wire for the weld.

When i welded ss pipe with stick i would see light surface rust, or flash rust. When we mig or tig machined parts we never had a problem. I always chalked it up to some sort of porosity or contamination. Never even considered the wire brush. Lets stop hi jacking this thread.

I habitually use steel wool to polish casings and smooth out edges of the mouth to prevent damage to the bullet when seating.

I think this works well and is partly why the ss tumbling media is catching on the way it is.

I use the RCBS motor driven 3 way trimmer and sometimes think about the sharp edges. Sometimes ill use scotchbrite pads.

does the SS pins smooth them out that much?

Lee zip trim and a thin green scotch-brite scouring pad. Takes about 10 seconds per case to install and clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts