Steel targets

timeless61

I know people seem to prefer and use AR-500 steel correct? Has anyone ever used AR-400 steel? if so, what thickness would i need? it will not be shot at less than 400 yards, and if it will work, but i can't shoot at it until further away that is fine too. the most powerful thing shot at it will be a 338 edge
if ar-400 will not work at all, what thickness ar-500 will work?
thanks for responses in advance

I know people seem to prefer and use AR-500 steel correct? Has anyone ever used AR-400 steel? if so, what thickness would i need? it will not be shot at less than 400 yards, and if it will work, but i can't shoot at it until further away that is fine too. the most powerful thing shot at it will be a 338 edge
if ar-400 will not work at all, what thickness ar-500 will work?
thanks for responses in advance

Hi,

I used for my 338Edge with 300SMK @2814fps RIG TRUCK MAIN FRAME 12X18in steel frame 3/8 thickness. I got 2 of them and tight together with 2 bolts and nuts.
At 950yrds i got just a scratch on the plate, no dent, no bent for less then $25 from scrap yard.

I used and old piece of 3/8" diamond plate (12"X15") and my .300WinMag (180gn Ballistic Tips @ 3100fps) puts dimples in it at 650yds. JohnnyK.

We use R400 with good effect. At 80 yards with a .308 winny and a 135 SMK i put a little ding in it at 2800fps. My cousin does not want to try his .338 Lapua because we shot through a railroad tie webbing at 100yards with 2 shots using 250 grn Scenars. At 600 yards it does not even phase it and at 1070 it just peels the paint off the paint. I would imagine past 200yrds you won't get much more than a dimple. Ours is a little over kill, but all the welder had was 5/8".

Tank

Last edited:
I use 1/2" mild steel but I don't shoot at it any closer than 600 and have no penetration issues. I'm also not shooting it with any cheytac wildcats either.

i can get any thickness ar-400 cut to what i want, what thickness would you suggest? as i said no closer than 300 yards, and will be hit with a 338 edge with 300 smk that will be the biggest

try some 3/8 , if that dont work try 1/2, i hit my 3/8 ar400 @ 100y with a 223, this was it did.

guns190.jpg

top was FMJ, bottom was 40gr vmax

3/8 to a 1/2" should be enough for that distance. The 5/8 we use weighs 65lbs and is a little difficult to carry for any distance. Lighter is always better.

Tank

yea, for where i will shoot it can be driven by truck or atv type thing, but i will try 3/8 or 1/2 i got a price on 1/2 cut, this stuff isn't cheap its through Nivert metal supply in northeastern pa, not sure how their prices are but i do not have too many resources around here

i can get any thickness ar-400 cut to what i want, what thickness would you suggest? as i said no closer than 300 yards, and will be hit with a 338 edge with 300 smk that will be the biggest

I dont know any thing about what steel is better but i have shot my edge at 1/2" steel at 500 and it hits it so hard that it punches a 3/4" plug out of the steel and through a piece of 3/4" ply wood most of the time. i have found the plug a couple of the times in the wood thats how i know whats going on. i shot a guys target at the range one day at a 100 i dont know what kind of steel it was but i only made a very small dent in it he said he got it off the web it is some bad stuff cause it was maybe 3/8" thick

I dont know any thing about what steel is better but i have shot my edge at 1/2" steel at 500 and it hits it so hard that it punches a 3/4" plug out of the steel and through a piece of 3/4" ply wood most of the time. i have found the plug a couple of the times in the wood thats how i know whats going on. i shot a guys target at the range one day at a 100 i dont know what kind of steel it was but i only made a very small dent in it he said he got it off the web it is some bad stuff cause it was maybe 3/8" thick

Sounds like you hit mild steel at 500yrds. That stuff is pretty soft compared to R400. The stuff you hit at 100 sounds like it might be R4 or 500 also.

Tank

yea, for where i will shoot it can be driven by truck or atv type thing, but i will try 3/8 or 1/2 i got a price on 1/2 cut, this stuff isn't cheap its through Nivert metal supply in northeastern pa, not sure how their prices are but i do not have too many resources around here

Yeah tell me about it. I split the cost of our steel and welding costing us in total almost $70 for a 12"x24" piece of 5/8".

Tank

ar 500 does not seem to be sold by just anyone, Nivert where i can get the ar 400, is a pretty big metal shop, and they said ar 500 is not even something they really special order. but this is all in northeastern pa so i have no idea about other places

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.